VMware Cloud Community
sabby01
Contributor
Contributor

Converter Failed: Unable to create

Hi All,

Firstly, I am a newbie to VMware so apologies if I appear ignorant on the topic.

I am trying to create a VM of my local machine using VMWare vCenter Converter Standalone v5.0.0

Unfortunately I keep getting to 98% complete and it fails with the following status:

FAILED: Unable to create '\\.\vstor2-mntapi10-shared-31F59A9D00001000000000000F000000\$Reconfig$'

I have no idea what this message means. According to the log highlights it was "processing the reconfiguration datastore" at the time. I have exported the log file as per attached.

Can anyboby point me in the right direction?

Many thanks,

Paul.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello

Conversion has two phases - disk cloning and reconfiguration. It has failed on the second phase, which means your destination VM is still there with all the data on the disks. Yo may try just to reconfigure it, if you are lucky, it may succeed the second time. Click on 'Configure'.

If not lucky, pls upload the logs got from the task view, these are just UI logs and are not very useful.

Regards,

Plamen

0 Kudos
sabby01
Contributor
Contributor

Great. Reconfiguring worked!

Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
thefutureme
Contributor
Contributor

I too have this error. I tried reconfiguring and it failed. Attached are all my logs. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The first error is 1450 which means "Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service." and then 1016: "An I/O operation initiated by the registry failed unrecoverably. The registry could not read in, or write out, or flush, one of the files that contain the system's image of the registry", so check your computer for disk free space, free memory, etc.. HTH

0 Kudos
thefutureme
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply! I can say for sure there was plenty of disk space on the drive to which I was writing. I have a 500GB drive, and there is over 350GB free. The size of the converted file being written was 97GB. That said, I have 4GB of RAM running 32-bit Win7 Professional on a QuadCore CPU. At the time I was running the conversion, there were no other applications running. Also, it stopped at 98%. Does that mean anything, or is there something else I need to check?

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

There could be error in registry-files, can you run chkdsk with fixing errors automatically?

0 Kudos
thefutureme
Contributor
Contributor

I ran chkdsk /f and rebooted, let it run, then tried again. Still failed. What am I doing wrong? Here's the logs from the latest attempt.

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Try to run check disk with /R parameter, it's time consuming but I cannt imagine IO operation fail if there are no bad sectors...

0 Kudos
thefutureme
Contributor
Contributor

That was the trick. I guess there must have been something wrong with my C: drive, but after I ran the chkdsk /r scan, it created it with no problems! Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
bbb_forever
Contributor
Contributor

I was getting this error as well:

FAILED: Unable to create '\\.\vstor2-mntapi10-shared-31F59A9D00001000000000000F000000\$Reconfig$'

-----

POCEH's solution resolved the error.  Thanks.

- Run chkdsk /R in a command prompt window.

- Re-boot the Windows 2003 machine (so that Windows can find and fix any disk sectors).

- Then use VM Converter to convert the machine.

- Then the conversion finished successfully 100%.

0 Kudos