VMware Cloud Community
khodd
Contributor
Contributor

Converter EULA - Reboot every 24 Hours???

Hello Everyone,

According to the EULA for Converter Starter Edition:

"(iii) the Software containing the Products contains a security feature that will cause the computer system to reboot without prior notification to the end-user after 24 hours of continuous use; and (iv) all customer support issues pertaining to the Software will be handled solely by VMware"

I am somewhat adverse to using the product if the converted machine is going to reboot every 24 hours without notice...

And no where (that I could find) on the main VMWare site is this limitation advertised. I would suspect that this should be indicated on the feature comparison table but it is not there.

Does this actually happen?

Kevin

0 Kudos
7 Replies
bretti
Expert
Expert

I have not seen this happen. Anyone else seen this?

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

Wow, someone actually reads those EULA's =;-)

I've never seen that behavior before, it's a free product so I can't believe it's because of licensing. I wonder what they mean by "Continuous use" the agent runs as a service on the computer to be converted and by default is always enabled. I've never seen a server reboot that was running the agent. Maybe some of the guys from Vmware that post here can look into it. I wouldn't be too concerned about it though, too my knowledge nobody has ever reported that behavior in these forums.

0 Kudos
Jasemccarty
Immortal
Immortal

That's interesting.

I was wondering why those boxes kept rebooting every night...

LOL, just kidding. No reboots here.

Jase McCarty - @jasemccarty
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I believe this refers to the BootCD rebooting after 24 hours. The BootCD is based on WinPE which reboots after 24 hours to prevent it from being used as a "real" OS.

0 Kudos
pdmana
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I converted several servers and no reboots noticed for several weeks now.

Patrick

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

That makes sense, I used to use BartPE alot and seem to remember that also.....thanks

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

It wouldn't affect the CONVERTED systems. It's only if you left the BootCD running, and it would be rare to have that running more than 24 hours to cold clone your machine.

0 Kudos