VMware Cloud Community
BenConrad
Expert
Expert

Converter 5, random host selection and firewall rules

I've not run a conversion in quite a while but we're pushing to conver the last remaining servers over.

Using Converter 5.0.0-470252 , StandAlone, installed on P2V candidate.

I notice that when selecting a destination cluster and then a destination host & datastore when the conversion runs the converter process does not honor the host selection.  The conversion picks a random host in the parent cluster of the host I originally selected.

For example:  I select Cluster1 and Host1 for the destination.  When the conversion runs it will select Hosts2,3,4 in Cluster1 for the destination.

There are firewalls between the P2V candidate and the ESX host, rather than opening up the entire ESX network to the P2V candidate I select 1 ESX host and allow P2Vs to go to that host through the firewall.

Older v3 and v4 Converters did not do this auto selection, just wondering if there is a trick/config parameter for v5 to emulate the original behaviour?

PS: To work around this I pointed the P2V converter directly to the ESX host that has a firewall rule allowing the connection.

Ben

0 Kudos
1 Reply
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Is your cluster DRS, if yes - is it manual or automated? Individual host selection doesn't work for automated clusters.

From p.47 in user's guide: "On the selected cluster, if DRS is not running in the automated mode, you can select an ESX host that belongs to the selected cluster from the Host drop-down menu." It is not explicitly explained indeed, but the reason is vSphere Server considers automated clusters a single resource in which individual hosts don't matter much.

HTH
Plamen

0 Kudos