VMware Cloud Community
tomerleib
Contributor
Contributor

Converter 5.1 - error 2338

Hi,

I have several VM's on 2 locations, one datacenter that is managed by us on our site and several VM's hosted on external hosting company datacenter.

Our own platform runs for now version 4.3 and the remote location run 5.1

I need to import few VM's from the remote location to our own location and trying to do that using Converter 5.1 hot-cloning.

The converter is installed on dedicated VM with external NIC that is reachable from the remote location and internal NIC that is connected to the vcenter and the ESXi hosts.

The converter is able to connect to the remote VM and get all settings done, but when I'm trying to run it, it fails at 1% with the error "Platform specific error 2338"

I checked the logs and so far was able to find out only those errors:

warning 'Default'] Disk number 1 has been skipped because of errors while reading partition table

warning 'Default'] Disk number 1 has been skipped because of errors while reading dynamic disks header or LDM database is corrupted

warning 'Default'] [MoveActiveDiskIfNeeded] GetFirstBootDisk failed, mntapi error: 176

warning 'Default'] Partition:Invalid sector magic number

warning 'Default'] [PopulateCapabilities] Volume-based cloning was disabled due to: <no volumes are recognized>

Any idea what can be the problem here and how it can be resolved?

I saw that those errors are mentioned with Converter 4.3, but I'm using Converter 5.1

The source VM is Windows 7SP1

Attaching the log for more information.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

7 Replies
ivivanov
Expert
Expert

For Windows P2V conversions the source machine needs to have direct access to the destination ESX server on port 902. The actual error should be in the Converter Agent log on the source machine, but I expect it to be something like "Unable to open a destination virtual disk".

Enthusiast

where is the Converter Agent log located?

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

When you export the task logs, there is a bundle of files. There should be some agent zip somewhere in it; you may attach the whole bundle as well.

If it is not there, look in the source machine, in "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\VMware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone\logs"

0 Kudos
VMchicken
Contributor
Contributor

You can generate the logs from a failed P2V.

View the job, right click, export logs, it will be in a zip like so "ConverterDiagnostics20131115142835.zip"

Open the zip file, in there open another zip file "worker-diagnostics-task-8-eup.zip" or simular and in the you will see "vmware-converter-worker-1" or simular.

0 Kudos
VMchicken
Contributor
Contributor

tomerleib wrote:

tomerleib wrote:

Hi,

I have several VM's on 2 locations, one datacenter that is managed by us on our site and several VM's hosted on external hosting company datacenter.

Our own platform runs for now version 4.3 and the remote location run 5.1

I need to import few VM's from the remote location to our own location and trying to do that using Converter 5.1 hot-cloning.

The converter is installed on dedicated VM with external NIC that is reachable from the remote location and internal NIC that is connected to the vcenter and the ESXi hosts.

The converter is able to connect to the remote VM and get all settings done, but when I'm trying to run it, it fails at 1% with the error "Platform specific error 2338"

I checked the logs and so far was able to find out only those errors:

warning 'Default'] Disk number 1 has been skipped because of errors while reading partition table

warning 'Default'] Disk number 1 has been skipped because of errors while reading dynamic disks header or LDM database is corrupted

warning 'Default'] [MoveActiveDiskIfNeeded] GetFirstBootDisk failed, mntapi error: 176

warning 'Default'] Partition:Invalid sector magic number

warning 'Default'] [PopulateCapabilities] Volume-based cloning was disabled due to: <no volumes are recognized>

Any idea what can be the problem here and how it can be resolved?

I saw that those errors are mentioned with Converter 4.3, but I'm using Converter 5.1

The source VM is Windows 7SP1

Attaching the log for more information.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Hi,

Look above the error "warning 'Default'] Disk number 1 has been skipped because of errors while reading partition table"

Do you see something like this?

GetManagedDiskName: Get disklib file name as vpxa-nfcssl://[STORAGE_NAME] machinename/machinename.vmdk@ESXHOSTNAME.domain.com.au:902!52 e6 48 9e 56 79 78 ed-5f cd 39 28 d9 e1 11 27

This error is the machine that you are trying to convert attempting to reach the ESX host you have targeted not finding it. To fix this you can edit the host file on machine you want to virtualise.

This is from another thread, credit to leonhardtla

leonhardtla wrote:

Checks this KB: VMware KB: vCenter Converter fails to import machine at 1%

Resolution

To resolve this issue, add the IP address and hostname in the hosts file.

Notes:

• If the source machine is Linux , the hosts files is located in: /etc/hosts
  • If the source machine is Windows, the hosts file is located in: \windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Example: A hosts file might look similar to:

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
10.16.23.89 target-esx

Shelds11
Contributor
Contributor

This worked!

0 Kudos
vipclubber
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

THIS IS THE DNS ERROR of not being able to resolve FQDN name of the destination host. Reason: you probably have stopped the local DNS service of the source machine you are trying to convert. Solution: Use IP address for the destination, Restart DNS or (best option) adjust hosts file. PS. This error will usually be received at the very beginning of the process i.e. 1%

0 Kudos