VMware Cloud Community
MikeHauden
Contributor
Contributor

Converter 5.0 fails at 96%, reconfiguring

I am attempting to P2V a Windows XP 32-bit machine to ESXi 4.1 using Converter 5.  The task fails at 96% attempting to "reconfigure" the VM, and the subsequent VM doesn't boot (hangs at post-BIOS black screen, blinking cursor).

I've noticed two errors in the log: one relating to the write timeout, and another that indicates that the mountpoints on the resulting VMDK file couldn't be determined.  I've attempted the conversion on two different systems with the same result.

Many of the other posts I've read point to concerns with the boot.ini file -- I did change the boot options for /noexecute to "alwaysoff."  I've also attached the boot.ini file here for reference, in addition to the Converter logs.

One of the key issues I have is that I *must* have the resulting VM use the LSI Logic SCSI controller (not IDE or BusLogic).  That's why the hardware reconfiguration is so important.  I followed the directions in this KB article to handload the SCSI driver before running Converter:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&docTypeID=DT_KB_1_1&e...

I've been chasing my tail on this for 2 days and would really appreciate input from more experienced folks monitoring the community.

Regards,

Mike

0 Kudos
7 Replies
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Check how many mount-points for volume you have. Try to limit to single mount-point. HTH

0 Kudos
MikeHauden
Contributor
Contributor

It was a clean XP install onto a single volume.  1 primary NTFS partition.

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

What's your Converter's machine? Win7 or ...?

0 Kudos
MikeHauden
Contributor
Contributor

The Converter server is running on another 32-bit XP Pro system.

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hmm, I'm out of ideas, could you try volume based copy without resizing volume? Now I see file-level cloning, not sure what's the root of the problem...

Hint: if your machine copy is done sucessfully, you can simply start only reconfig task on this VM.

0 Kudos
MikeHauden
Contributor
Contributor

I had read elsewhere about trying to just hit "reconfigure" using Converter, but the VM was still broken on boot.

I ended up increasing the write timeout in the XML config file, and the conversion worked, but I'm still not sure that's what resolved the problem and I'm worried about this happening again once we're in production and I have clients trying to run their own conversions.

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

This could be some local network issue ...

What timeout you change?

0 Kudos