VMware Cloud Community
MattGagliardi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Converter 4.x - multiple cores per CPU

I seem to be having a problem converting a VM.  The VM is an XP x64 machine with 2 vCPUs and 2 cores per CPU (total of 4 cores).  When I try to run converter on it I am receiving an error which states (essentially) that the target/guest OS only supports 2 physical CPUs.  Which I obviously know (XP can only run 2 pCPUs).  It seems that Converter (and Workstation) are viewing the additional cores as separate and distinct pCPUs...thus thinking there are 4 total pCPUs.

Is there any way to fix/get around this so that a machine I convert ends up with 2 pCPUs of 2 cores each?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Unfortunately no.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Unfortunately no.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I don't have a test machine like this at the moment. Are you able to get to step 3 in the converter, where you can configure the number of CPU's under Devices? If yes, set it to 2 CPUs and once the conversion is done, edit the VM's settings and configure 2 dual core CPUs for it (if you really need it).

André

MattGagliardi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Eh, that's what I was afraid of.  I appreciate the advice Re: editing the file post-conversion, unfortunately my desire was to use Workstation (which exports via Converter I believe) to create an OVA that I could send out to a group of end users.  I'm trying to avoid asking that bunch to do anything even remotely technical...and editing the .vmx file would definitely be technical for them.

Can't believe that VMware supports multi-core in the host products but not in Converter.  What a drag.

Re: whether I need the cores...yeah, in this case I'm afraid I do.  Real-time 3D rendering with an interactive model.  In a production situation we're using 8 vCPUs (or cores if we're installed on 2K3 Standard rather than Enterprise) and I've validated the need with ESXTOP.  4 would get me performance that would at least suffice for basic demonstration...2 really isn't cutting it.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Once edited though you can export from ESXi through the vSphere Client to an OVA

0 Kudos