VMware Cloud Community
goldeneye_007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Converter 4 BSOD's W2k server

Am reposting this in a new thread per suggestion.

Installed VMware Converter 4 on W2k Server all patches applied. Rock solid server that has never BSOD'd since installation.

Two minutes into conversion the machine BSOD's. There was a directory created at the save point with a .vmx, .vmdk and a folder with .lck.

The vmdk file reached 2 Megs. This was a live server conversion. I was running the VMware Standalone Client on the server itself and writing

the image to an attached USB hard drive. I ignored its query for sysprep files, not sure if that makes any difference. I'm reluctant to try it again.

The Windows server logs don't seem to have anything helpful regarding the BSOD.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Could you please upload a full kernel memory dump for this crash? It would help to understand which driver caused the crash and why.

First, you need to enable full kernel memory dumps. Go to My computer, Properties, Advanced, Startup and recovery.

Then, you need to rerun the P2V and get the memory dump file.

BTW, if you already had full kernel memory dumps enabled, you do not need to rerun anything. You can just get

the dump from your Windows directory.

The dump file is going to be a few hundred megs in size. You will not be able to post it here. Please use FTP

to upload it to ftpsite.vmware.com using user/password as inbound/inbound and creating your own directory.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
paul_xtravirt
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

What workloads is the server running? Was everybody disconnected from the server during the conversion?

If you found this helpful, please consider awarding points

If you found this helpful, please consider awarding some points
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Could you please upload a full kernel memory dump for this crash? It would help to understand which driver caused the crash and why.

First, you need to enable full kernel memory dumps. Go to My computer, Properties, Advanced, Startup and recovery.

Then, you need to rerun the P2V and get the memory dump file.

BTW, if you already had full kernel memory dumps enabled, you do not need to rerun anything. You can just get

the dump from your Windows directory.

The dump file is going to be a few hundred megs in size. You will not be able to post it here. Please use FTP

to upload it to ftpsite.vmware.com using user/password as inbound/inbound and creating your own directory.

0 Kudos
goldeneye_007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

No workload at all, no users.

0 Kudos
goldeneye_007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Well I'd like to help you out but that should have been done in Beta.

BSODding a server is an instant fail in my book. A lot like performing an illegal action on your drivers test.

I understand the 'we can't test everything' mantra...but really, This product failed on three seperate servers with

differing hardware. Maybe I'll try again in a future version.

0 Kudos
vmweathers
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Which 3 instances were those? I presume you mean these 3:

1. Linux with software RAID (clearly stated in the release notes as unsupported)

2. Linux with nVidia Hardware RAID (I'm still waiting for your logs...)

3. BSOD of Windows 2k

(If your question has been resolved please mark the answers as "Helpful" or "Correct".)

(If your question has been resolved please mark the answers as "Helpful" or "Correct".)
0 Kudos
goldeneye_007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes those are the three. Sorry if I was a bit over the top yesterday, was a bad day.

Honestly though, I don't plan on working with this product any further. Thanks for your time.

0 Kudos