VMware Cloud Community
pkratz
Contributor
Contributor

Converter 4.0 "The source virtual Machine is not recognized"

We took full disk images from old servers with windows 2000 server sp4 with Acronis Echo Server. In VMware Converter we started a "Convert Machine" Wizard to convert the TIB-Image from Acronis to a VM on ESXi server.

Choosing the Image file under "Virtual machine file" and pressing next we gat the message

"The source virtual Maschine is not recognized". We can not continue then. Trying the same with an Acronis Imageof a Windows XP SP3 machine works fine.

Any idee?

Thanks Paul

0 Kudos
5 Replies
vkaltchev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Acronis True Image Backup (.tib) format is supported only by Windows version of Converter.

Cheers,

Vik

0 Kudos
pkratz
Contributor
Contributor

We use windows version of converter and as you could read in my post a conversion of an Acronis Image of a XP machine worked fine!

Paul

0 Kudos
vkaltchev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Please confirm that you are selecting the source machine type as "Backup image..." like it is shown on the acttached screenshot.

You might have to upload the diagnostic logs package too.

Cheers,

Vik

0 Kudos
pkratz
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I have taken "Backup Image ..." as source machine type. I have attached the log files. The last test I did where yesterday.

0 Kudos
nlaurino
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same error only I am using the Import feature from the vCenter client and trying to import a Windows Virtual Machine. It is supposed to recognize and import .vmc files but when connnecting to the share, it comes back 'Source VM was not recognized'.

I tried using the Stand Alone Converter, but when it tries to connect to the target server I get a login failure even though I am an admin on that ESXi server. This error shows my account is connecting using a local loopback address 127.0.0.1, so that is probably the issue however I cannot see how to correct it.

Any help is greatly appreciated,

nlaurino

0 Kudos