VMware Cloud Community
clarges
Contributor
Contributor

Converter 3 - can you convert NT4 box with hardware raid

after reviewing release notes of converter 3 says NT4 box with faulttolerant drives cannot be converted, can someone please tell em does this refer to hardware or software raid or both, has anyone ever successfully migrated NT4 box with hardware raid

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

Please don't confuse the terms.

Hardware and Software RAID is different then the Windows NT 4.0 fault-tolerant volumes.

Windows NT 4.0 fault-tolerant volumes is a beast unto itself, as it is basically RAID ... just not 100% inter-compatible. I have seen when people upgrade a server from NT to 2000, a Windows NT 4.0 fault-tolerant volume will show as failed ... even though it works fine after loading a the fault-tolerant driver in Windows 2000.

0 Kudos
clarges
Contributor
Contributor

can you clarify then, is it possible to convert an NT 4.0 server using converter whihc has a raid1 or raid5 volume

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

I have converted several systems running RAID without issue.

Hardware RAID usually goes smoothly, because Windows usually doesn't know the difference between RAID and a normal disk in this situation.

If it's a proper software RAID, it should accurately mimic a hardware version and be okay.

If you have issues with the conversion, post the problem and we can always help out.

0 Kudos
clarges
Contributor
Contributor

thanks for the info, unfortunately my post on the initial issue logged last night has had no replies as of yet !! NT4 P2V sits @ 2%

0 Kudos