VMware Cloud Community
Diezel
Contributor
Contributor

Converter 3.0 moving 2k3 standard to ESX 3 fail

I'm trying to move a 2003 standard from a physical machine to ESX. The hot copy works fine but when I try to boot up the vm image 2k3 blue screens with an error about system logon process terminated unexpectedly.

I've tried booting into safemode but it doesn't work.

Anyone have an idea of where to start solving problems? Or should I just try to redo the image?

// Mats

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Joseph_Nguyen
Contributor
Contributor

I had this problem twice. The first time, I had a bad ram in my blade. The second, I'm still trying to figure this out right now. I suggest you post your hardware model and software versions.

0 Kudos
Diezel
Contributor
Contributor

The hardware I'm converting from is a Proliant DL380 G4, and it's to be the second ESX server as soon as I can get 2k3 off it.

The hardware I'm migrating to is a brand new DL380 G5.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the hardware, since the server is stable and I tested it a month ago when we decided to run it as a second ESX host.

If you find an answer to this please let me know, I'll do the same.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Look at

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices

of the server that will not boot thru.

Does it make sense ? does it fit the new environment ?

0 Kudos
Diezel
Contributor
Contributor

I ran the converter again and this time everytihing works. I have no idea what went wrong but it works now.

0 Kudos
simplyme247
Contributor
Contributor

I was coming across a similar error with the converter and was wondering what the final resolution was. Did you end up removing mounted system devices?

0 Kudos
Diezel
Contributor
Contributor

No. All I ended up doing was runing converter again. And the second time around everything just worked. Sorry I can't give you more details since I relly didn't need to do anything else.

0 Kudos