VMware Cloud Community
GroverJoe
Contributor
Contributor

Converter 3.0 Ghost support?

I see in the documentation about Converter 3.0 supporting Ghost 9 (and higher) images, however on ESX Server 3.5 when I try to do an import, .gho is not listed as a supported file extension, and Ghost is not listed as a supported app. What's the scoop on this?

UPDATE

This also happens when running the standalone VMWare Converter 3 on a machine. From the release notes at :

Supports conversion of third-party disk image formats such as Microsoft Virtual PC, Microsoft Virtual Server, Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery, and Norton Ghost 9 (or higher).

0 Kudos
10 Replies
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

Try the 4.0 beta Converter. It can do Norton Ghost versions from 9 to 14. But the ghost images have to be saved in a different format like .sv2i or .sv2 which is the format that there symantec uses.

continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Restore the ghost-image like you would do it on real metal - create a new VM - boot into ghost-floppy or CD and restore. Then use Converter and run the configure-option against the new VM

description of vmx-parameters:

VMware-liveCD:

GroverJoe
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, I saw the .sv2i thing, but didn't think it was Ghost related as the file list says that's a Symantec Backup Exec image file.

After further investigation it appears that .gho files are not compatible. The version of Symantec Ghost that created these images was 7 (or more accurately Symantec Ghost Enterprise 7). It's looking like we will not be able to use this, as even the newer Symantec Ghost Solution Suite (which is supposed to use Ghost 11.5) appears to only deal with .gho files as well--at least, if I go into Ghost Explorer the only file extensions available are .gho.

Regarding restoring, that's kind of how we've been doing it so far. I just wanted to try the import option.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

I completely fail to see your problem.

Converter is a two-stages process: imaging and patching

If the imaging part does not work because Converter can't handle the format just do it the way you probably have done it hundreds of times before on real metal.

After you restored the image you simply run Converter with "Configure" option against the vmx-file of the VM you just created.

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

I see it clearly.

The documentation states that converter supports Norton Ghost directly. yet, via the GUI, it doesn't allow you to select the more common .gho file that it would create. Some versions can create the .sv2i or .sv2 file which is also used in other Symantec backup software.

Why do a 2 step process, which will work, when a product is advertised to do the same process in 1 step.

I'm looking to see if we can clear up the debacle with an update of some form.

Regards,

EvilOne

NOTE: If your problem or questions has been resolved, please mark this thread as answered and award points accordingly.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Yes - the documentation should be fixed so that it says: to create a VM from any type of disk-image use the tool used to create the image to restore the image like you would do with real machines.

Then use Converter to patch the new VM.

I have seen so many cases of folks that wasted a lot of time because they thought that Converter can handle ghost and acronis and whatever ...

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
dconvery
Champion
Champion

I can confirm Ulli. I have always "ghosted" to a fresh VM using the ancient mod-boot floppy. Then I use converter to do the rest. Incidentally, in VC 2.5 with the converter plug-in, it is just a right-click action. I have never seen it able to directly convert a .gho file.

Dave

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

Doug Larson-

Message was edited by: dconvery

PS -- I have also used this method with Ghost 8 and Ghost 5... It may not be supported, but it works. 🐵

Dave Convery, VCDX-DCV #20 ** http://www.tech-tap.com ** http://twitter.com/dconvery ** "Careful. We don't want to learn from this." -Bill Watterson, "Calvin and Hobbes"
0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

After really digging around, we do support the sv2i format. the problem is that this is not the native output from Ghost. Ghost will make a .gho or a v2i or iv2i file.

You have to go into Ghost and manage the backups, and choose to output the files into the sv2i format. This is what converter is expecting, as sv2i is the Symantec virtual disk format we can read.

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/products/ghost/14/manuals/ngh_14_user_guide.pdf

Bottom of page 130 will explain how to take a current backup and migrate it into an sv2i format that can be interchanged, as sv2i is system level backup in virtual disk format from Symantec.

this is where I think the documentation is lacking. We say we support something, but there are steps in between that are not explained very well. I'm going to try and get something written up when I have time.

Regards,

EvilOne

NOTE: If your problem or questions has been resolved, please mark this thread as answered and award points accordingly.

0 Kudos
dconvery
Champion
Champion

Ahhh. That's why it only supports newer versions of Ghost.

Dave

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

Doug Larson

Dave Convery, VCDX-DCV #20 ** http://www.tech-tap.com ** http://twitter.com/dconvery ** "Careful. We don't want to learn from this." -Bill Watterson, "Calvin and Hobbes"
0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

Yeah, Over the weekend I had a chance to look at Ghost 12 on a friends computer. There is a separate section dedicated to restoring backups. one of the restore types says to go to sv2i format. Output a Windows XP home backup to that format, and converter accepted it.

0 Kudos