VMware Cloud Community
eversys
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Converted .sv2i SBS2011 image does not boot

We use Symanatec System Recovery 2011 (latest updates installed) to backup a Windows Small Business Server 2011 Standard (fully patched). The source server has 2 MBR hard disk volumes:

sbs2011-partitions.png

We wanted to do a P2V migration of this server to a VMWare ESXi 5.1 (build 1065491). We used VMware vCenter Converter Standalone Client (5.1.0 Build 1087880) to directly convert the .sv2i backup image to the ESXi.

The conversion was successful however the new VM does not boot - simply a white cursor appears on the black console window - nothing more.

Any ideas what the problem could be?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Converter supports only old versions of Symantec backups (BESR 8.5 is the latest mentioned in the user guide - see p.20).

There should probably be a way to restore it with System Recovery. i.e. create an empty VM and restore in it.

0 Kudos
eversys
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for your reply patanassov. I have converted many SSR 2010 and 2011 images before to ESXi 4.x & 5.0 servers without a problem. Could be a problem with converting to ESXi 5.1...

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Could you upload log bundle to check the issue?

0 Kudos
eversys
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I also posted on the Symantec Forum and was asked to update to SSR 2013 SP1. I did this and created a new image - the same problem... simply a white cursor appears on the black console window - nothing more.

I then did another SSR backup, however, this time I left out the hidden Dell partitions - just backed up C:, 😧 & E:. Now, when I try to load the image in vmware converter, I get the error fault.ImportSourceFault.summary.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Check out in the manual the exact supported 3rd party sources.

0 Kudos
eversys
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Which manual - from vmware converter or SSR?

In your last post you mentioned that I should upload the "log bundle" - what is that and where can I find the logs on a Win7 64-bit system? Thanks.

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The Converter's manual will show which are supported 3rd party images.

The log bundle could be retrieved through UI - select failed task, invoke context menu, 'export logs'

0 Kudos