VMware Cloud Community
FredRo1
Contributor
Contributor

Converted running Windows 2008 r2 Foundation VM won't boot in ESXi 6.0

Hi,

my problem is to start a converted Windows 2008 r2 Foundation Server in ESXi 6.0

The process of making a VM from the running Windows System works without errors.

Starting the VM works without errors

But when i open a remote console, the console windows remains black. No error, no event information.

I can't find any hint in documentation of this behavior.

I'm using Vmware vCenter Converter Standalone Version: 6.0.0 build-2716716

15 Replies
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

What you mean with 'remote console' exactly? Is it mstsc.exe, remote console from c# client or some WEB based console?

How you see that VM runs properly, is it possible to stuck in BIOS?...

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

or perhaps the ESX host is asking you something before starting the VM?

FredRo1
Contributor
Contributor

i use the funktion "start remote console" in vSphere Web Client.

The browser opens a new window and this windows stays black.

That's what happens.

0 Kudos
FredRo1
Contributor
Contributor

when i look into the listing of the jobs in vsphere web client i can see that the job for starting the vm is 100%

i can't see the status of the boot process there is no event listed in vsphere.......

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Edit machine setting, set to enter in BIOS after start up and boot the VM, if you can't see to BIOS screen, then the problem is probably in ESX...

If you see the BIOS screen, try to exit BIOS and invoke boot menu (ESC) to see how OS is loaded.

HTH

0 Kudos
FredRo1
Contributor
Contributor

i just tried this before

i can see and edit the bios parameter and if i press f12 i can see the boot order.

and if i check harddrive the menu disappears and the black screen is shown...... nothing else

there is nothing loading....

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Seems an ESX problem then... you should check the ESX forum(s) about not starting GOS, or similar, in VMs.

But as first and easy solution - try to reboot ESX Smiley Wink if it not possible - get the ESX logs and send in proper forum/thread.

HTH

0 Kudos
FredRo1
Contributor
Contributor

ok, so i will boot the ESX ..... tonight...

but i can't believe that this will help Smiley Sad

thanks

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

0 Kudos
FredRo1
Contributor
Contributor

there was no change after booting the esxi .....

thanks for the hints, but the converted machine is a 2008 r2 server and there is no more boot.ini

and the other KB do not work

i think that this is a general problem with esxi ( converter ?) and running windows 2008 servers

i converted the machine again and took only the C: Drive in the hope that there is a problem with multiple drives

but no change .....

thanks

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Do you change some parameter(s) of conversion? Do you uncheck the reconfiguration of destination machine?

The only one reason to fail start of VM is to have some specific hardware in source machine and its driver are not removed during clone and could not start in virtual environment.

Could you upload log bundle?

0 Kudos
FredRo1
Contributor
Contributor

yes i changed the drives i want to convert. i took only the c-drive.

the option "reconfiguration of destination machine" was checked.

i thank that is the problem. there is no harddrive recognized. the first volume looks as if would make esxi some trouble.

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

What you mean with "no harddrive recognized"? It's obvious that all volumes are recognized properly. Also the data is transferred and just final step reconfiguration probably failed.

You can start resque procedure from CD installation of Win2k8 in VM, hope this will fix boot problems.

HTH

0 Kudos
FredRo1
Contributor
Contributor

i got it running. Smiley Happy

i tried a new converting process with creating the disk as "Thick provisioned disk [VM-Volumen]"

that helped to to boot the vm.

now i will test to convert the 2008 server with all disks.

thanks for your help

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Ok but this will not change the content of disks Smiley Happy Hope you succeed!

However the rescue procedure seems only one useful step if GOS do not start.

0 Kudos