VMware Cloud Community
kcc001
Contributor
Contributor

Converted image attempts network boot

I used Converter Ent. 3.0 to convert an IBM Netfinity 7000 running 2000 Server w/ SP4, but the image will not boot. It keeps attempting network boot even when I specify harddrive boot in the vmware setup. What's going on? I received no errors during the import and convert steps.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

A PXE boot means no virtual hard disk was found.

I would verify that the boot.ini is properly set up in the VM. You can attach the virtual disk of that VM to another Win2K VM to see it.

0 Kudos
kcc001
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, how should it be setup?

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

Also since it is Win2000 make sure you are using the Buslogic SCSI controller and not the LSI.

0 Kudos
rzeisler
Contributor
Contributor

And make sure you have Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 Roll Up 1 version 2 and not version 1 so that the scsiport.sys driver works.

If you are creating or copying the VM to a *nix host, make sure the permissions/owner are correct. The *.vmx file must be executable.

Serveral folks have said that if you have software raid (mirroring for instance), that you need to break the mirror before doing the hot cloning. I don't know if cold cloning negates this requirement since I only have the Starter version. I am in the process of testing software raid theory, so take it with a grain of salt.

0 Kudos
gautam
Expert
Expert

Also if you had multiple disks in the source (esp. IDE+SCSI combinations), try changing the disk order under the hard drive boot section (i.e. try booting off SCSI0:1, SCSI0:2, etc.)

0 Kudos
rzeisler
Contributor
Contributor

Serveral folks have said that if you have software

raid (mirroring for instance), that you need to break

the mirror before doing the hot cloning. I don't

know if cold cloning negates this requirement since I

only have the Starter version. I am in the process

of testing software raid theory, so take it with a

grain of salt.

Success! By breaking the software mirror I was able to hot clone my Win2K server to a VM.

Life is good.

0 Kudos
kcc001
Contributor
Contributor

Found the problem. The conversion process switched the disks. The sys disk was 0:1 and the data disk was 0:0. Removed and readded them, all is working now.

0 Kudos