VMware Cloud Community
sda88
Contributor
Contributor

Converted Windows 2000 Server to virtual vmdk format. but not running !

Converted windows server 2000 to vmdk format using vmware Vcenter converter standalone. The conversion failed at 97 % with an error "  unable to find the system volume, reconfiguration is not possible- Error: reconfiguration failed "

Could anyone please help me with this error.

still i tried to run the vmx in my vmware workstation 10, it did not startup. came with error  "cannot connect the virtual device serial0 because no corresponding device is available on the host "    "cannot connect the virtual device floppy0 because no corresponding device is available on the host "   "cannot connect the virtual device parallel0 because no corresponding device is available on the host "   "cannot connect the virtual device serial1 because no corresponding device is available on the host "

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JimKnopf99
Commander
Commander

Hi,

could you try to mount the vmdk to another vm and check the boot loader?

Frank

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
sda88
Contributor
Contributor

hi, i managed to mount the vmdk to another vm, i can see all the files.

Could you please say how do i check the boot loader ? and what to verify in it ?

0 Kudos
JimKnopf99
Commander
Commander

Hi,

open the boot.ini. The file is located in the systemroot folder.

It has to look like this.

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows 2000 Server" /fastdetect

Not something like that

timeout=30

FAILED: Unable to find the system volume, reconfiguration is not possible.default=signature(e6d6ab31)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

FAILED: Unable to find the system volume, reconfiguration is not possible.

FAILED: Unable to find the system volume, reconfiguration is not possible.signature(e6d6ab31)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows 2000 Server" /fastdetect

Frank

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
sda88
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

i checked my boot loader. it seems to be looking good..

I have also uploaded a pic , error when trying to run the vmdk..error.JPGbootloader.JPG

0 Kudos