VMware Cloud Community
VMwAlf
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Convert physical SLES for using via VMware Player

Hi!

Have latest VMware vCenter Converter Standalone Client. Any way to convert a physical SLES 11 box to a virtual for using via VMware Player? Tried with converter, but only way I see is destination to VMware Infrastructure server, don't have one. No option to choose a files location etc.

Have a few such a boxes and need to bring these down, but want to have a ... personal access for future.

Any ideas?

More thanks, Alar.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

... when machine is already converted to ESX you can conver it again, when it's powered off, from ESX to WS format.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Live Linux could be converted to VC/ESX only.

0 Kudos
VMwAlf
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi and thanks!

Ok. Well, but have You any suggestions/ideas how can I convert it for "seeing" via Player?

More thanks, Alar.

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

... when machine is already converted to ESX you can conver it again, when it's powered off, from ESX to WS format.

0 Kudos
VMwAlf
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi and thanks again!

Well, we have - I suppose - some enterprise level VMware product here (out of my direct reach, though) -- I "see" we have SLES installed on "VMware, Inc. VMware Virtual Platform". Do You think they able to help me with this converting task? Well, sure, I'll ask directly.

More thanks, Alar.

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

There should be free version of ESXi, should be sufficient for your needs.

VMwAlf
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi and thanks!

Yes, seems to vSphere Hypervisor is free, not sure I'm able to install it. Any way to ... get a image to work for import? As this device is next to me I can poweroff it remove disk, if necessary, etc. Well, don't have much soft to play with, though.

More thanks, Alar.

0 Kudos
VMwAlf
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Installed ESXi - converted - converted back - installed VMware Tools etc. stuff and ... voila! 😃

Thanks!

Alar.

0 Kudos