VMware Cloud Community
HairyScot
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Convert installed Windows system with vCcenter Standalone

Hi,

As a complete newbie to VM I need some assistance.
I have Windows 10 and Windows 11 installed on my PC in dual boot mode.
What I would like to do is create a virtual machine on my Windows 10 system using the existing Windows 11 system.
Can anyone advise me as to what would be the best approach?
Thanks in advance.😉

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jsm79
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

One way to do this is with P2V Converter, found here: https://www.vmware.com/products/converter.html

Another way would be to do the physical to virtual conversion yourself with other tools. You'll need Acronis (or other system imaging tool) on a USB drive, and another USB storage drive. Boot to Acronis on that laptop and capture that Win11 image to the USB storage, and then boot to Win10 and either use Windows Hyper-V (depending on which version of Windows 10) or VMware Workstation to convert that Acronis image to a VM. You'll need to create a generic Win11 VM first, attach the Acronis ISO to the virtual CD-drive of the VM, power the VM on, and boot to Acronis on the VM using the ISO file, and then use Acronis on the VM to write the physical image you captured before to the virtual machine.

This isn't an exhaustive, step-by-step procedure, but hopefully it'll put you along the path of figuring it out.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Does this have anything to do with VMware Fusion?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
jsm79
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

One way to do this is with P2V Converter, found here: https://www.vmware.com/products/converter.html

Another way would be to do the physical to virtual conversion yourself with other tools. You'll need Acronis (or other system imaging tool) on a USB drive, and another USB storage drive. Boot to Acronis on that laptop and capture that Win11 image to the USB storage, and then boot to Win10 and either use Windows Hyper-V (depending on which version of Windows 10) or VMware Workstation to convert that Acronis image to a VM. You'll need to create a generic Win11 VM first, attach the Acronis ISO to the virtual CD-drive of the VM, power the VM on, and boot to Acronis on the VM using the ISO file, and then use Acronis on the VM to write the physical image you captured before to the virtual machine.

This isn't an exhaustive, step-by-step procedure, but hopefully it'll put you along the path of figuring it out.

HairyScot
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Great, thank you.  👍

I discovered that it an also be done with a Macrium Reflect image and Viboot.

HairyScot
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

My apologies if I have used the wrong forum.  😭

0 Kudos