VMware Cloud Community
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Convert existing VM with raw-disk

it would be nice if converter could be used against stand-alone VMs with raw-disks.

Anyone tried this with success ?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

You can always import the VM by leaving it powered on and treating it as a "physical machine".

I assume you mean importing the VM when it is powered off.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

You can always import the VM by leaving it powered on and treating it as a "physical machine".

Well not exactly - consider using converter for forensic analysis for a while please.

I go to a physical box which has a powered off Windows that I have to analyse.

I would boot into a LiveCD, start VMware Workstation, create a new VM configured to use a raw-disk.

I create a snapshot for this raw-disk with vmrun.

Now I'd like to use converter to reconfigure this system and do that patches into the open REDO.

Next I launch this patched raw-disk VM inside Workstation and can start and analyze the system without actually changing it.

The missing step in the middle is the converter-task in the middle.

I obviously would prefer mounting the vmdk and offline patching the registry over having to launch this VM unpatched and do a long hot clone.

This procedure would also be a cool show-off when ever you have to present migration skills Smiley Wink

BTW - I did this a couple of times with a P4 Asus with Intelboard which migrates easily - this procedure is real fun Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I would prefer taking a safer approach. Use Symantec Livestate to take a system image of your "raw disk", then use Workstation 5.5.x and a linked clone. The resulting VM uses the system image as a backing but VM snapshots for the changes. Then you can do whatever you want with the VM.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Ok - if I got time I can do something similar - I use vdiskmanager and convert the raw-disk into a vmdk on USB-drive. No need to use third party tools Smiley Wink

If I am in a hurry - I would be able to investigate a system 5 minutes after I booted it into a liveCD. No image-creation necessary - if I can use a REDOlog in ramdrive or USB.

0 Kudos