VMware Cloud Community
Mlindsey
Contributor
Contributor

Convert a production server as backup on Virtual Machine

Hello All,

Sorry for the dumb question... I have an IIS server I really need to test as a backup on a new SQL server we are building... Rather than me rebuild an entire server from scratch i was wondering if i can just use the standalone converter on my production and throw the Image onto my esxi server? Once done I would boot it up with no NIC... remove from the domain/rename the server and then bring it backup up adding it to the domain under a new name.... Would that work or mess anything up on my domain? Just wondering if anyone has done this before? Would save me a ton of time knowing i have a fully setup and correctly configured backup ISS server.

Let me know your thoughts... In theory I would think this would but who knows..

3 Replies
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

The devil is in the details.

A few examples:

Any SSL certificates issued for that server (be it for IIS or SQL Server, etc) will then be interpreted as bad for the renamed server.

If websites in the IIS server is using the local anonymous IIS account (do people still use that??), I think that account is not renamed although impact of this probably can be ignored.

Some services like Windows Update Service may not be happy with two servers with some identical characteristics.

0 Kudos
Mlindsey
Contributor
Contributor

My only concern really is the impact on my domain... Wondering if the domain will still recognize it even though i remove from domain and change prior to adding it back... As for IIS its a simple classic site that YES uses local IIS account.

0 Kudos
MDNaseer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

No issues, as long you keep NIC disconnected,

also remove the unwanted services which are not required for your testing purpose. also do a sysprep on the server before adding New NIC