VMware Cloud Community
xeneric
Contributor
Contributor

Convert Windows while Remote Desktop: No Mouse, No Keyboard

Hi guys

Following situation: I connect to my Windows 2003 Server using Remote Desktop. There is VMWare Converter 3.0 installed.

Now I import the physical localhost into a VM image. The conversion works without any problem.

After that I copy the image to my local computer and start it in a VMWare Server. There I have no mouse and no keyboard.

is it because I created the image in a Remote Desktop session? How can I add mouse and Keyboard to the image? There is no Mouse option in the add-hardware screen...

Thanks,

Remo

0 Kudos
11 Replies
PSJ-V2S
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you instaled VMware Tools?

Regards

Paulo

0 Kudos
xeneric
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Paulo

How can i Install the VMWare Tools when I'm not able top log in to the image?

I thought I'm able to connect by Remote Desktop, but this does not work either, because I'm not able to find out the IP of the image without login in into it...

0 Kudos
PSJ-V2S
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

you can install without login if it was an upgrade, if it is a new install the only problem is to chose between typical or custom install, for that you need to login.

About RDP its a good option, but remember that you should connect with console (mstsc /console).

To find out the ip of the machine, try to check the name in the dhcp, or use a sniff tool to do that.

Regards

Paulo.

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

On a side note, I don't think converting using RDP caused a problem because I've converted several 2003 Servers with Converter 3 while in a RDP session.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

The problem might be due to having a USB keyboard and mouse.

0 Kudos
xeneric
Contributor
Contributor

Because the tools are not already installed, I cannot upgrade them.

I'm using Host-only for all NECs, so how do I found out the IP of the image? I cannot bridge it because there is the physical server witht he same name and same static ip running. I can't connect to the static IP because I get to the physical server then... Smiley Wink

I may have to wait till the physical server moved to the new network...

Thanks dudes! I'll try those hints and come back here to let you know. In a few days Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

The problem might be due to having a USB keyboard and mouse.

Just for clarification, (at least for me,) is that having a USB KB/mouse on the machine that's converted, and a PS2 KB/mouse on the host? Or vice versa? Or USB on both?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

If PS/2 is on both then you wouldn't see the problem. If USB is on both you likely would not see the problem either.

The problem is that your source machine may see USB but the VM does not recognize it. Having a PS2 KB/mouse on the source will avoid this problem.

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

I understand now.

Do you think that could be solved if you add the USB controller to the VM. Windows boots in VM, sees new hardware and adds it in (e.g.: USB controller), then Windows reboots and detects USB KB/Mouse.

Just a thought.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Possibly. This missing keyboard/mouse problem is usually prevalent when going to an ESX Server VM since there is no USB support for ESX Server VMs. For VMware Server/Workstation it shouldn't be a problem.

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

Thanks! I keep forgetting ESX doesn't support USB. And none of my servers use anything USB so out of sight, out of mind, for me. Smiley Wink

Thanks again!

0 Kudos