LMT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Convert Windows 2003 Server not working - sysimage.fault.ReconfigFault

Trying to convert a physical Windows 2003 Server to a VM on ESX 3 with Converter 3 Build 39557.

It has a C:\ and D:\ and a utility partition. It is not SAN attached.

Have tried:

\- Converting to ESX and VC.

\- Uninstalling anti virus.

\- Changing destination size of partitions.

\- Leaving utility partition out of conversion.

\- Ensuring the service "Volume Shadow Copy" is set to manual.

\- Have run chkdsk /f on source server.

No matter what I do I get the error:

sysimage.fault.ReconfigFault in the log in c:\windows\temp\vmware-temp

I am now running it locally on the server to see what happens. Anyone got a suggestion because I can't find anything else to try now.

Thanks

Marten

0 Kudos
4 Replies
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

Datto
Expert
Expert

Look in Disk Management on the server to be virtualized and verify the server is shown as "Basic Disk" rather than "Dynamic Disk". If it's a dynamic disk you might try using the boot disk with the Enterprise version of VMware Converter. If it's already a Basic Disk, then the problem with trying to virtualize Dynamic Disks is not the problem.

Datto

0 Kudos
LMT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The disk is a "Basic Disk"

Read and tried the information provided in links but no luck. Sending logs to vmware now.

0 Kudos
LMT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Convert successful, well almost. Need to manually go in and edit boot.ini to start the Virtual Server partition numbers. Here is my 2 cents anyway so far.

Ensure following services are started:

\- COM+ System Application

\- Remote Procedure Call Locator

\- Volume Shadow Copy

\- Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider

Very poor of the converter software not to be able to detect this straight away. Also very poor error reporting in log. I found it out from the source servers application and system logs.

Also ensure the user is connecting is administrator.

Haven't dared to include the other destination partitions yet so this isn't over yet....

0 Kudos