VMware Cloud Community
dwilli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Convert Vista does not recognize OS

I am trying to convert a Vista desktop to ESX and it does not recognize the guest operating system. I am running ESX 3 and converter 3.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You are correct. Vista is not supported yet.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You are correct. Vista is not supported yet.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Converter 3.0 only supports Windows OSes for NT 4.0 SP4+, 2000, XP, and 2003.

0 Kudos
atakacs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Any chance to see Vista supported in the near future (it's pretty obvious it will be supported eventually... an approximate time frame might help Smiley Happy ).

If not what's our best second choice ? Ghost ? Acronis ?

Regards

alex

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Experimental support for Vista will likely be coming soon. Unfortunately VMware does not publicly comment on features with respect to specific future versions or dates ahead of official release announcements.

0 Kudos
atakacs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I guess it doesn't take rocket science to understand that Vista will be eventually supported... Thanks for reassuring us that it is coming soon Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
artsycs
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I always hate to recommend other products but sometimes the need outweighs loyalty.

I've had some success with ghosts v12 ( beta) product imaging a vista partition. I haven't restored it yet but it archived with no errors so thats half the battle.

Granted this is not going to help you create a VM of Vista....which I also really need to be able to do right now... but I am sure VMWare will be on that.

Shame on you guys for not already having full support before the Vista launch. I am also miffed you guys can't run your host machine on Vista yet... ( thats why I needed to archive my Vista image... cause I needed to run my VMWare images. )

Thanks

Art

0 Kudos