VMware Cloud Community
kropfm
Contributor
Contributor

Convert Remote Linux Server to ESXi without a second system via a second hard disk

Hello all,

Here's what I'm looking to do, I'd like to know if others have done it, and if there's any place I can read up on the process. I have a CentOS 64bit server running in a remote datacenter where our connectivity is not great. I do not have the luxury of using a second server in the datacenter to do the conversion, nor can I afford the server to be down while I push data over the network. Same goes for Vcenter Server, I don't have connectivity to connect it to one of our internal vservers and I do not have the time to start the install of a vcenter server remotely while the server is down. So here's what I am attempting to do:

1. Use a linux Rescue Disk boot and dd image the server to the second harddrive

2. Format primary hard drive & install ESXi

3. Create a new VM and use rescue disk to import the disk image off the second harddisk.

voila

Now I can think of a few potencial road blocks with this plan, here's my questions:

1. What format should my second disk's file system be so that esxi can mount it without formatting it? (if possible)

2. After mounting the second disk should I copy the image over to the /vmfs/ appropriate folder so that I can toss it in as a disk or cd? (here's what my plan breaks down)

3. Does the disk tools allow me to convert a .img to a vmdk?

I understand this means I'm accepting some risks such as if the image file is corrupt I'm out of luck and without a server. But I do think that if this is possible it'll end up being faster over our 15k drives than if I tried doing this over the network. Let me know your thoughts & opinions...

thanks,

Mark

0 Kudos
0 Replies