VMware Cloud Community
giacomo_IBM
Contributor
Contributor

Convert HyperV VM to WMVare

Hi guys, it is the second time I post this question culd someone help me??

I have a centOS 6.7 host machine, inside this machine somebody else has installed an HyperV (gen 1) virtual machine. Now I want to make this virtual machine compatibile for the Virtualizer VMware Tools 8389.

Than I have downloaded the VMware vCenter Converter Standalone Client, Now if I click convert machine I can reach this VM by his IP only with the option powered-on machine. Anyway, at the second step the client ask me to chose a WMware Infrastructure server. I don't have a WMware server I just want an image (maybe an .vmx file I don't know..) of the virtual machine converted.

What I have to do?? Can I create a WMware server locally on my machine maybe with WMware Player??

Can someone describe me the step to convert this machine and what I need to do this??

Thank you a lot

Bye

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Short answer is - you can't! Read the User's Manual to see how live Linux are converted and why you need a ESX destination.

From the other hand - if your HyperV is first version (i.e. Windows 2008) you can convert the powered off VM to WS format directly.

HTH

0 Kudos
giacomo_IBM
Contributor
Contributor

Ok I will read the documentation but please answer this question:

1) I have a HyperV VM on centOS 6.7 physical machine

2) I reach that machine with my conversion tool

3) I select my destination ESXi System as destionation for my clone/conversion

QUESTION:

will the clone/conversion procedure create a new Virtual Machine, or can I select an existing virtual machine on that system? Because of the customer already has a VM inside his EXSi System and don't want to create a new one.

Thanks

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Converter always creates new VM, there is no workflow to 'update' an existing VM.

HTH

0 Kudos