VMware Cloud Community
msemon1
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Convert Hyper-V VM's to ESXi 4.1

Hello,

I am going to be using vCenter Converter Enterprise 4.2.1 to convert some VM's from Hyper-V to ESXi 4.1. Converter

has an option for Hyper-V and sees the VM's. Can these be converted powered on or off? Any gotcha's in this process?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JHakimi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Are you converting from Hyper V (2008) or Hyper-V 2.0 (2008 R2).  If you are using Hyper-V (2008) then you want to remove your integration components prior to conversion.  Depending on your OS, you may need to change your network driver.  The only other requirements is to go into your VM once converted and remove any ghosted devices in DevMgr.  You can do this by typing the following form a command prompt:

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
start devmgmt.msc

Go to File menu, expand the View and select the Show Hidden Devices option.

Good luck.  Ive done many P2Vs from Hyper-V with great success.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

They can be converted powered on just like P2V. You might want to have a look at the Converter 5 beta. http://communities.vmware.com/community/vmtn/beta/public_converter_50?view=overview

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
JHakimi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Are you converting from Hyper V (2008) or Hyper-V 2.0 (2008 R2).  If you are using Hyper-V (2008) then you want to remove your integration components prior to conversion.  Depending on your OS, you may need to change your network driver.  The only other requirements is to go into your VM once converted and remove any ghosted devices in DevMgr.  You can do this by typing the following form a command prompt:

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
start devmgmt.msc

Go to File menu, expand the View and select the Show Hidden Devices option.

Good luck.  Ive done many P2Vs from Hyper-V with great success.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I would rather use Converter 5 than your outdated version

0 Kudos
msemon1
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Have you seen any advantages using Converter 5 in relation to Hyper-V?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

yep - cold imports worked flawless for me

0 Kudos
JHakimi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I don't understand why you woudl say its outdated.  I was able to do Hot migrations and not rely on cold migrations which sometimes fail with Hyper-V in the past.  As long as you stop all services, which you can actually designate during the converter wizard, then you are fine.  Ive actually had to go back to even older converters on some projects to be successful.  Not saying Converter 5 isnt ok, but tried and true from VMware is always a safe bet.

Regards.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

> but tried and true from VMware is always a safe bet.

Smiley Wink

IMHO Converter is always experimental.

At the moment I use 3.0.3 and 5 - I have no use case for 4.x at all

0 Kudos