VMware Cloud Community
gss4w
Contributor
Contributor

Convert ESX VM to Server VM

I am trying to convert an ESX 3.0.1 VM running Window 2000 Server OS to run in VMware Server in order to troubleshoot a possible networking problem. However, when I attempt to do the conversion I using VMware Converter 3.0 I receive the error message: "Unknown error returned by VMware Converter Agent". The Converter logs has the following entry:

"\[2007-04-09 17:43:41.515 'P2V' 2952 error] \[task,295] Task failed: P2VError UNKNOWN_METHOD_FAULT(sysimage.fault.CloneFault)"

I have seen several threads about the "Unknown error" and "sysimage.fault.clonefault" error messages but most of these have described problems converting physical machines to VMs. I am wondering when VMware is going to patch this problem since some of the threads have said that request for support have identified the problem as a known bug. More importantly if there are any suggested workarounds for this problem I would be happy to try them.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
luizhbedin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Does anyone know what this method "sisimage fault" really process?

This is the 90 % of errors.

Thanks

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

1. Are you importing the VM while it is running or powered off? If running, try it when the VM is powered off and select VM rather than "physical machine".

2. The problem is typically caused by an incomplete installation of the agent inside the OS. That can be caused by incomplete permissions. Make sure to use a local administrator and not domain administrator account.

0 Kudos