VMware Cloud Community
goldeneye_007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Conversion problems

I have tried two different Linux servers, one CentOS5.2 and the other OpenSuSE...both are clasified as unsupported.

I am receiving the following message:

Unable to detect disks or volumes on the source machine.

I have a hard time believing that these two very popular distributions cannot be converted.

I am able to ssh to these two servers as root. Is there anything else I can try? Hidden '-unsupported' flag or something?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
vmweathers
Expert
Expert

1. WIthout the logs I cannot say for sure what problem you are encountering.

2. That particular problem could be an indication of: Software RAID (unsupported, see release notes), VxVM/VxFS (unsupported, see release notes), EMC Powerpath (unsupported, not mentioned in release notes), etc.

So please read the release notes to make sure your system doesn't violate any of the constraints stated therein.

Also, to be clear there are really 2 distinct definitions of unsupported here: 1) VMware claims no responsibility to support such uses, 2) it will not work period.

The problem you have is likely to fall into the 2nd category. Those distros themselves have worked with Converter numerous times, but they fall into the 1st category.

(If your question has been resolved please mark the answers as "Helpful" or "Correct".)

(If your question has been resolved please mark the answers as "Helpful" or "Correct".)
goldeneye_007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well that solves the mystery...unfortunately also nullifies the usefullness of converter

on 50% of my machines. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
vmweathers
Expert
Expert

Which particular constraint are you hitting? Guessing Software RAID.

0 Kudos
goldeneye_007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well the CentOS box has an nVidia raid on it.

The SuSE box has software RAID.

I just tried a W2k server that has an Adaptec Mirror and it started to run and

then BSOD'd the esrver. Not having a great experience with this.

0 Kudos
vmweathers
Expert
Expert

nVidia RAID? So that's hardware RAID, right? Can you please send me the logs from that conversion attempt (and call out which host/IP is the CentOS host). I would expect that one to work.

If you are not comfortable posting the logs to the forum then send me a private mail and I'll give you an email address to send them to.

Please create a new thread for the Win2k BSOD. I presume you mean that you started P2Ving it with Converter Standalone 4.0, and the source machine itself BSODed. That should not happen, I'll have a colleague follow up in the new thread.

0 Kudos
goldeneye_007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Where are the logs kept?

Do you need them from the client machine or the server?

0 Kudos
vmweathers
Expert
Expert

Just use the Converter GUI: File > Export logs...

goldeneye_007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is there a way to 'clean' the logs so I can send it to you after only having attempted it against the one box?

I tried clearing out ./var/log/vmware-standalone and also my .vmware logs but it still seems to be getting some other info into the logs.

0 Kudos
vmweathers
Expert
Expert

You can email them to me directly as I indicated above (just private mail me and I'll provide you an email address).

0 Kudos
davdunc
Contributor
Contributor

Any way you could post what you identified as the cause of the error in this post?

VCP VI3 VCP VSphere 4 RHCA #805007392628032
0 Kudos