VMware Cloud Community
tatster
Contributor
Contributor

Conversion path options?

Hi,

I'm just getting my head around VMware conversion and I have a scenario that I'd appreciate some guidance on.

I have a Dell T300 server currently running Windows SBS 2008. What I'd like to end up with is ESXi running on the physical server, and the SBS2008 machine as a virtual (+ some new VM's). What I haven't figured out yet is what steps are needed, and what the best way of acheiving this is?

Is there a tried and tested way of doing this?

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance,

Anthony

0 Kudos
3 Replies
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

tatster,

You should be able to convert the SBS 2008 to a workstation image, and the power up the virtual machine in player to ensure that it works.

Once you have a working image, install ESXi on the T300.

Use converter again to migrate the virtual machine onto the ESXi Server.

Start adding more virtual machines.

Please be aware, that the SBS instance may be OEM, which means you might encounter licensing issues.

Regards,

EvilOne

VMware vExpert 2009

5441_5441.jpg

NOTE: If your problem or questions has been resolved, please mark this thread as answered and award points accordingly.

tatster
Contributor
Contributor

OK that's cool.

How similar would the hardware need be on the temporary machine hosting the newly created VM? I'm wondering if I could run VM Server on, say, a laptop running XP.

The SBS server is not busy and only has a couple of file shares, and a couple of users at the moment.

Thanks,

Anthony

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

>How similar would the hardware need be on the temporary machine hosting the newly created VM?

It doesn't have to be similar. that's the whole point of virtualization.

I'm wondering if I could run VM Server on, say, a laptop running XP.

That's fine. Or workstation, or player.

Just make sure to give the virtual machine version of the SBS Server an amount of ram that is smaller than the physical system that will have it temporarily.

Regards,

EvilOne

VMware vExpert 2009

5441_5441.jpg

NOTE: If your problem or questions has been resolved, please mark this thread as answered and award points accordingly.

0 Kudos