VMware Cloud Community
virtual-ma
Contributor
Contributor

Conversion fails at 98% XP

Hello everybody,

I tried to convert a Win XP x86 machine to an external harddrive. I used the VMware vCenter Converter Standalone, version=5.5.3 , but everytime it failed at 98%. The status displays: “fault.ReconfigurationFault.summary”. I exported the logs und they are in the attachement. Please help me to understand the logs. I tried to read the log files but I didn't understand where is the error, What is the problem, why VMware failed at 98%.

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
berndweyand
Expert
Expert

try to disable "Windows Simple File Sharing" on XP

what type is the external hard drive ? have you enought space to convert it to local disk ?

where is the converter running ? on XP or on a separate machine ?

0 Kudos
virtual-ma
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you!

Did you find something in the logs, that shows you a hint thats leads to problem with the "Windows Simple File Sharing"?
I did the same with this machine and the same converter years ago. "Windows Simple File Sharing" was already activated at that time.

The converter runs on XP and I use an external hard drive (4 TB Western Digital 2,5inch 3.0 USB).
Thats is enough space for 1 TB of C drive and 500GB of F drive.

0 Kudos
virtual-ma
Contributor
Contributor

It it usual that the virtalization process lasts 7 days??
The image I try to make is not big actually: 1 TB for C drive and 500GB the F drive.

0 Kudos
berndweyand
Expert
Expert

no - the hint with simple file sharing based on experience - have done p2v many times.

but here are some additional tips : https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1016330

the best tips are:

be sure the conversion job does not include the usb drive you are converting to

disable firewall

force filebased converting by choosing a different partitionlayout on the target

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Try to configure machine again and select the already created new vmx-file.
That should take less than 5 minutes.
Before you try that - check wether the VM is configured to use the Buslogic-scsi-controller and not IDE.

Ulli

0 Kudos
virtual-ma
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you.

The  VM Ware Converter 5.5 does not allow me to use an already exisiting vmx to create the VM again. the vm was configured to use Buslogic SCSI Controller. 

I disabled Antivirus, Firewall and all shared folders. I only convert one harddisk with Windows. (C: Drive)

It stops at 98% with the same error.  any further clues? Where can i find different free converter versions which works with XP? Maybe an other version will fix this problem. 

0 Kudos
virtual-ma
Contributor
Contributor

i tried every step you mentioned. sadly it stopps at 98% with the same error.  

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

> The VM Ware Converter 5.5 does not allow me to use an already exisiting vmx to create the VM again.

Nobody said to create the VM again !!!
Use the "configure machine" wizard and let it do the patching part again - 5 minutes max !!!

Ulli

0 Kudos