VMware Cloud Community
Sebastian11
Contributor
Contributor

Conversion failed with message: Unable to find the system volume, reconfiguration is not possible.

While trying to convert a running Windows XP 32 bit installation the program exits with error at about 99 percent done with message: FAILED: Unable to find the system volume, reconfiguration is not possible.

The version is VMware vCenter Converter Standalone 4.3.0

The computer systems drive is installed on a VIA SATA Controller. Convert failed with above error msg.

After removing all harddrives, so only the drive with the Windows system remains in the computer i repeated the conversion. Again it fails with above error message at around 99 percent of conversion.

Attached to this post is the log file.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

does "After removing all harddrives ..." mean you are running XP in a multi boot system with Vista/Windows 7 using the Vista/Windows 7 bootloader?

André

PS: Just found a related KB article - http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1014212

bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

Sebastian ,

You may be able to boot the VM.

At 99%, there is not much left for the process to do to complete - it may just be that you are bootuing multiple OS versoinbs or simlar and therefore it is confudes as to how to set boot preference.

What happens when you boot the VM?

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos
MTH201110141
Contributor
Contributor

I had something similar trying to use VMWare Converter Standalone to convert a Microsoft Virtual PC.

I solved it by opening the Virtual Machine to VMWare Player, then selecting the correct version of the OS (in my case Windows XP Pro) in the configuration options.

Hope this helps.

Mark

0 Kudos
Sebastian11
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for this hint, a.p.. I had a Win 7 installation on my computer before, but i deleted it and restored the Windows XP Boot Manager before trying to convert. I deleted the C:\Boot directory now and after this, conversion went through successfully.

0 Kudos