VMware Cloud Community
mattclarke
Contributor
Contributor

Conversion Fails Error:112

I am trying to convert a windows home server version 1 to use after migrating to windows server 2011.

I initially succeeded creating a VM, but I created it for Workstation 8x instead of Server2.

On my next 3 attempts each time the conversion fails at 95 or 97% with the error:

FAILED: An error occurred during the conversion: 'File-level volume clone error failed with sourcevolume id \WindowsBitmapDriverVolumieId=[DC-7xxxx] and target volume id <-07?).  Error code: 112'

Pardon my ignorance, but what information will help troubleshoot this error from the logs.  I exported a log but it produces a bunch of converter-gui-#.log.gz and vmware-converter-server-#.log.gz files.

thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Windows error 112 reads "There is not enough space on the disk."

Most probably the disk space at the target is not enough. Converter uses VSS which requires some additional space for snapshots. Although the wizard includes a reserve of (IIRC 15%) when calculating the minimum size, sometimes this is not enough. Can you try to increase a little the size of the suspected volume?

Regards,

Plamen

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello and Welcome!!!!

Look this discussion with same problem...

http://communities.vmware.com/message/734213

Good Luck

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
mattclarke
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the replies.

I am trying what is listed here - http://communities.vmware.com/thread/88616

and will report any findings.

0 Kudos
mattclarke
Contributor
Contributor

vmconvert.PNG

once again, the service hangs at 95% (7 minutes remaining).  I changed the specs of the two drives to backup and still no luck.  I know there is more than enough disk space on the D:\.  I also tried backing to an external drive with no luck.

Is there something in the logs that I can post to help identify the problem.

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Are you trying to convert your desktop machine onto itself? This won't work unless you disable the volume where the target will be from the source volumes (and of course you still have enough space).

Converter uses VSS to track changes on the source during the cloning process. Since it write on the same source during cloning, it will track every change recursively... until it goes out of space.

Regards,

Plamen

0 Kudos
cpanter
Contributor
Contributor

I had this issue while converting a Windows Server 2008R2 Standard SP1 server to a VM. The original server had ALOT of unused disk space. 3 disks total, C, D, and E. Mine failed on the E drive. I was able to get past this issue by shrinking the drives to remove all the free space except a couple of extra Gbs (on D and E). On C I left 30GBs because there was an existing partition after the main partition. When I went through the process again, I made sure the new disk sizes were 1 Gb over what actual disk size required. Worked like a charm! Good luck!

0 Kudos
dave_104
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem of 112 for me and I can't really think of what else to try. Gets to about 75% (9 mins left) then bombs out with the error-112.

Windows server 2012R2 and am selecting just the local disk C (which has 60Gb usage) and keeping destination size to the minimum. No other disks are selected and the external USB drive I'm using as destination has 700Gb+ of space. It worked fine on my local workstation to the same destination drive - and my w/stn is using 200Gb on C:.

I'm reluctant to reduce partition sizes as this is being done for the purpose of taking a preventative and safe snapshot. Tested the origin drive, no problems. Done disk cleanup, and defragmented. Tried with vCenter 6.2 & 6.3. Turned off any heavy usage services (i.e. CCTV and AV). Just not sure what to try next!

0 Kudos
dave_104
Contributor
Contributor

Just to update...... Seems the full size of the partition matters (as cpanter above suggests) rather than the actual space usage, even if the destination size option is set to Min-size.

Gave it a 4Tb external drive as destination, and all was happy even as the output file size still was a tiddly 60Gb as expected.

0 Kudos