VMware Cloud Community
richardOST
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Connect Server (5.01) to older Agent (4.3/4.01)

Hello,

In an attempt to streamline a set of conversion we deployed the 4.3 agent to several servers. Due to an unforseen issue with a different server, I had to upgrade the converter software to the latest (5.01) version. Now whenever I convert a server it tells me that the old agent is incompatible and it needs to be upgraded.

The issue is that I have a few Windows 2000 servers to convert, and the target is a vSphere 4.1 environment. Apparently converter 4.01, the last one to support Windows 2000, does not support the new vSphere 4.1 environment. Is there a way to trick the server into allowing the connection to the older agent? Has anyone attempted this before?

Thanks,

Richard

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You can't connect converter server to a different version of agent, it has hardcoded check for product version.

Can you try to select a 4.1 destination from converter 4.0.1? I haven't tried but this should theoretically be possible.

A clumsier way is to have a 2 step conversion: first convert with old converter to older vSphere or to hosted, and then, using newer converter - to vSphere 4.1.

Regards,

Plamen

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You can't connect converter server to a different version of agent, it has hardcoded check for product version.

Can you try to select a 4.1 destination from converter 4.0.1? I haven't tried but this should theoretically be possible.

A clumsier way is to have a 2 step conversion: first convert with old converter to older vSphere or to hosted, and then, using newer converter - to vSphere 4.1.

Regards,

Plamen

0 Kudos
richardOST
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I haven't tried 4.01 to vSphere 4.1 yet, that's my plan to do as of right now. The main issue is if the old version of converter can't get to vsphere 4.1. There is no way to make a new version work on Windows 2000 as far as I can tell.

Thanks,

Richard

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I've just done successfully a P2V of Win2k to VC 5.0 with Converter 4.0.1. (don't have 4.1 i my env). Good Luck!

Just don't forget to set the disk controller to BusLogic (to avoid potential BSOD of the destination)

HTH

Plamen

richardOST
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks patanassov! I've got 4.01 downloaded and will try that tomorrow.

I'll update the thread with the results.

-Richard

0 Kudos
richardOST
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Using 4.01 was successful! I had zero issues transferring these physical servers to our new vSphere 4.1 environment.

Thanks,

Richard

0 Kudos