VMware Cloud Community
Bjornz
Contributor
Contributor

Cold conversion stops at 2% forever.

Hi all

I try to convert a physical HP360 G2 to virtual.

I run converter 3.0.1 and tried 3.0 with same result.

Both hot and cold conversion fails at 2% forever.

Have anyone else have this?

The logs look nice.

Is there a disk hardware problem so that the converter not can copy the information.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
cwruck
Contributor
Contributor

I do have the same problem on a HP320 G1 (really old Box). Tried it Hot and Cold. The newest Version just shows "formattinf taget Volume C:" but there is nothing happening on the SAN. Anybody an idea?

0 Kudos
cwruck
Contributor
Contributor

Actually this is happening on pretty much all the machine we have. I am using P2V Assitant 2 now which works just fine, although it is more complicated.

What I have noticed is that the Converter does not offer the option to fix the Duplex speed which is possible with the old Version (as the Boot CD runs on Knoppix Linux). There are not many options to actually fix Windows PE with this and I would actually suggest to VMWare that they modify their network settings to allow to choose Duplex Settings as many Server networks have fixed Duplex requiremnts.

The old P2V Version had Duplex problems in my case and someone pointed me to this article: http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?messageID=503749.

13erla
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ok i had the same problem.. this topic helped though..

i switched to a switch port that is setup at auto duplex and auto speed.

we'll have to wait for vmware to update to allow duplex setup. but having an available auto port is KEY

Bjornz
Contributor
Contributor

I will try and look at this on Monday. Isn't there a way to set duplex in converter 301 or do i hav to run p2v and do the linux stuff?

0 Kudos
cwruck
Contributor
Contributor

I tried the Converter with a switch that was set to auto but it did not work. I am now using the old version (P2V) until VMWare has the converter working ... I will open a case with them tomorrow.

0 Kudos
Bjornz
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the answers.

i did the trick to move to another switch (DLINK G624T at home switch) and the conversion started and finished with a success.

I have a case at vmware with this issue so hopefully they build in som intelligence in how to set the nic ports.

Regards

Bjorn

0 Kudos
chrisbuzby
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you, this worked for me as well (old compaq cold migration), I am a bit confused why hot migrations would fail as the NIC would be based on the Setting under the OS, unless your Network settings are mis configured.

Thanks again,

Chris

0 Kudos