VMware Cloud Community
Technologist1
Contributor
Contributor

Cold P2V XP Error

Hello Everyone ,

I am new to VMWARE.

I am using Converter Boot CD (ver 4) to do cold cloning of XP machine but got a typical " Unable to determine Guest O.S" error , found so many similar issues here in the community but nothing conclusive or 100%

I tried 3 different PCs all got same problem.

PC1

OEM PC

XP is installed in the 3rd partition , first partition is the EISA partition and 2nd is data, understand from previous post that converter always look for 1st parti.

My Question : Is there any way i can point the boot cd to look for 3rd partition, boot ini is ok it shows partition(3)

PC2

HP compaq nx7300 laptop

this got windows on 1st partition but still not able to run same error. " Unable..."

I prefer to do cold cloning bcoz later i have to do this at client side and they prefer cold.

thanks in advance

0 Kudos
3 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Are you sure your Cold Clone CD has the right drivers for mass-storage ?

description of vmx-parameters:

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
Technologist1
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply

forgot to mention that i tried this on my test server (dell) machine and it works fine, then i tried on another compaq old laptop and it works fine too.

I open the image through "MagicISO" and found that driver folder is there full of all relevant drivers.

so it looks like its not the driver problem.

to me for PC1 , its a partition issue

and for laptop i have no clue , initially i thot it could be SATA enhanced mode issue in new laptops so i disable it but to no avail.

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

PC1 - since it does list the partitions ... uncheck ESIA and proceed.

PC2 - there are no drivers for Windows 2003 Server for the laptop. We'd need to have those. Unless you can set the machine to emulate IDE.

0 Kudos