VMware Cloud Community
JohnnyMac2028
Contributor
Contributor

Cloning Win2k3 physical server (hot or cold), converter recognizes as Vista and fails

Hello All,

This is my first time posting on these message boards, so hopefully someone will be able to help.  I haven't found anything covering my issue on the KB.

I have a Windows 2k3 SP2 server, which runs BES 4.1.   We've had success migrating all of our other servers, but when we try to hot clone this it fails at 97%.  We then tried a cold clone instead, with coldclone.iso, and the proper drivers injected.  The drivers are all good, this will get to 99% and then fail.  When review the logs, I noticed that the server OS is being identified as Vista, although its a Win2k3 server:

[#1]             family = "WINDOWS",
[#1]             displayName = "Windows Vista",
[#1]             guestOsId = "winVistaGuest",
[#1]             vendor = "Microsoft",

It's possible I'm misunderstading the logs, but it to me as if the client is being ID'd as a vista server...  Anyway, I've attached the complete log file client/agent logs, if anyone has any advice I'd appreciate it.  I need to get this BES server virtualized to get it off of unsupported hardware.

-JohnnyMac

0 Kudos
2 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

When the conversion fails, whether at 97 or 99%, is the intended virtual machine present on the destination server?

If so, then I imagine that it fails to boot when you try to boot it?

If it does fail to boot, then launch Converter >> Click "Reconfigure Machine" and navigate to the VMX file for this virtual machine.

After the process is complete, try to boot the VM again and let us know when happens?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Forgot to mention that the agent log that you initially attached contained the following errors:

[#2] [j1] [2011-03-10 16:57:17.265 'App' 940 info] [extendedOsInfo,221] msdos.sys is non-existent or inaccessible
[#2] [j1] [2011-03-10 16:57:17.265 'App' 940 error] [extendedOsInfo,234] FAILED parsing NTFS or Win9x_DOS partition
[#2] [j1] [2011-03-10 16:57:17.265 'App' 940 info] [extendedOsInfo,119] Could not obtain Extended Os Information. Continuing with cloning, but will skip reconfig
We have a knowledge base article which discusses this. See http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1006294
0 Kudos