VMware Cloud Community
edwardzgr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

CentOS 7 P2V converter. Problem with static IP and MAC address on helper machine

Hi,

I need to convert CentOS 7 P2V. In Converter (verison 6.2.0) i set static IP address but there is no possibility to put MAC Address. In my Company everything is filtered by MAC and this is a problem. After process start it just gets stuck on 1% with “Connecting to the Converter helper server on the destination virtual machine.”

I found this explanation https://communities.vmware.com/message/2220153#2220153 but I'm not sure that it's clear for me

I login to Converter Helper. IP is the same like I set at the beginning but MAC is wrong. I register new MAC for IP but this nothing change. I try also set HWADDRESS in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ and restart network service.

Informations from logs:

- vmware-converter-worker.log

2020-01-29T15:39:55.070+01:00 warning vmware-converter-worker[29096] [Originator@6876 sub=Default] Failed to connect socket; <io_obj p:0x066176d0, h:2520, <TCP '0.0.0.0:0'>, <TCP '10.xxx.xxx.xxx:443'>>, e: system:10060(A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond)

2020-01-29T15:39:55.070+01:00 error vmware-converter-worker[29096] [Originator@6876 sub=HttpConnectionPool-000000] [ConnectComplete] Connect failed to <cs p:01a91b70, TCP:10.xxx.xxx.xxx:443>; cnx: (null), error: class Vmacore::SystemException(A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond)

- vmware-converter-server.log

2020-01-29T15:41:54.349+01:00 error vmware-converter-server[24564] [Originator@6876 sub=Ufa.HTTPService] Failed to read request; stream: <io_obj p:0x040faf14, h:-1, <pipe '\\.\pipe\vmware-converter-server-soap'>, <pipe '\\.\pipe\vmware-converter-server-soap'>>, error: class Vmacore::TimeoutException(Operation timed out)

When i cancel converter job i get: “Error: Unable to connect to the Converter helper server on the destination virtual machine.”

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You can try the following: set the free static IP address and after HelpverVM arrival add its MAC to your DHCP server. There is enough time to get access to HelperVM and continue conversion.

HTH

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You can try the following: set the free static IP address and after HelpverVM arrival add its MAC to your DHCP server. There is enough time to get access to HelperVM and continue conversion.

HTH

0 Kudos
edwardzgr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok, in my local LAN this work like a charm but here traffic is open .

I'll check it out tonight on the source machine. This machine is in the DMZ network. As I understand from Converter Server to the DMZ network, I only need ssh 22. As the source machine is in DMZ, no outside traffic is open.

Please let me know if the ports that are given for linux machine VMware Knowledge Base  are sufficient? Or maybe something else is needed to open between Converter Server and ESXi or the target machine

0 Kudos