VMware Cloud Community
adenison
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cannot convert Windows Server 2008 machine

I have a Server 2008 vm running on an ESXi 4.0 server that I'm trying to move to another ESXi 4.0 server. When I run the converter 4.0.1 from the machine that I always use for conversions, I get the error "Unable to contact the specified host 'servername'. This might be because the host is not available on the network, there is a network configuration problem, or the management services on this host are not responding."

I have been able to convert other servers that were running Server 03 using my current setup but I cannot convert this one for some reason. I have tried opening all of the firewall ports that are listed at .

I even tried disabling the firewall completely on the machine I'm trying to convert. When I tried to connect to it after that, I got a message that the agent needed to be installed and it asked me if I wanted to leave the files or remove them. Either choice I make ends up with the same result, they both fail.

If I install and run the converter directly from the machine I'm trying to convert, I am able to move it to the other ESXi server but it creates a new LAN connection and gives me a message that the IP was once used by an old connection when I attempt to set the same static IP. Technically it works but I don't really want to leave it that way if I don't have to because it's not 100% clean the way I want it.

Has anybody else run into this problem and could give me a little guidance? Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ScottBentley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

If you move it and it creates a new lan connection in windows follow the steps below to remove the non existant lan card and it will stop moaning about same IP in use etc

At the cmd prompt, type in "set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1″ (without the quotes) and press enter. (Note that nothing seems to happen-this is ok. We are actually setting an environment variable which is going to help us to see hidden devices)

On the next cmd prompt line, type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press enter. This will launch the Windows Device Manager Console. this must be done from the original command prompt you opened.

In the Device Manager Console, from the "View" menu, select "Show Hidden Devices". then remove the orphaned card

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

I hope this helps

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ScottBentley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

If you move it and it creates a new lan connection in windows follow the steps below to remove the non existant lan card and it will stop moaning about same IP in use etc

At the cmd prompt, type in "set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1″ (without the quotes) and press enter. (Note that nothing seems to happen-this is ok. We are actually setting an environment variable which is going to help us to see hidden devices)

On the next cmd prompt line, type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press enter. This will launch the Windows Device Manager Console. this must be done from the original command prompt you opened.

In the Device Manager Console, from the "View" menu, select "Show Hidden Devices". then remove the orphaned card

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

I hope this helps
0 Kudos
ScottBentley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Just as a follow up if you are simply moving a VM from one ESX host to another is there any specific reason for using converter? Are you not able to simply move the VM and add it to the inventory of the new server

I hope this helps
adenison
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry, I got side tracked with some other things. I had tried to show the hidden devices before but I must have left something out since it didn't work before. It worked this time though. Honestly, the only reason that I had been using the converter was it was easier and quicker to move my vms. I thought there was a way to copy them without it but I'm fairly new to some of this so I wasn't exactly sure how to go about it that way. I found something to help me figure it out that way. It took a lot longer to move it that way but it was easy to get it up. Thanks for your help with this. You helped with my original issue and led me to find out how do it another way. Thanks again.

0 Kudos
ScottBentley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

No problem,

Glad you managed to sort it out

Scott

I hope this helps
0 Kudos