VMware Cloud Community
Kallex
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Cannot convert VMWare Server to ESX (or to anything); unable to load vmdk

Hi!

We're in active process of migrating from VMWare Server to ESXi.

Our current environment is Dell PE 2900, two raid arrays, 2x quad Xeons (64 bit, VT enabled), 24 GB of RAM. We run VMWare Server 1.0.5 on W2003 EE R2 x64, that run Exchange 2007 (W2003 EE R2 x64) few W2003 EE R2 32bit and few XP 32 bit boxes.

Now to my huge surprise, when I try to start VMWare Converter on (any) of those .vmx files (the VMs are not running), I get "unable to load vmdk file" error. This is all on the Dell described above, so its as standard hardware/OS for this kind of operation as it gets.

The vmdks reside all on the local SAS Raid partition, where they are ran as well. When I copy the files over to other comp, I can get the converter to load about 2 of the total 6-8 VMs (so some of the vmdks do get to load).

This is when using the VMWare Converter 3.0.3. I had the VMTN subscription (when there still was one to have), and based on that I think there is VMWare Converter license available, however there is no guidance of how to get the valid license file to the program. However starter edition should work as well, so this isn't likely caused by the lacking full license.

I managed to convert the Exchange 2007 box using the bootable ISO, however as I am running short of proper x64 virtualizable hosts, I did this first time in a box that could only do 32 bit virtualization.

The conversion went OK, but the ESXi cannot start the OS as it claims that the CPU does not support x64 and I should install 32 bit version of the OS... now where can I see what kind of CPU the ESXi is trying to feed to the VM? Or did the conversion "mark" the HAL in some way as 32 bit and the silly Windows does not feel like booting up far enough to see that it could actually run.

Any help appreciated, I will try to re-convert the Exchange on 64 bit VT enabled environment, but I'm somewhat afraid that the conversion wasn't the issue, but the ESXi I'm using somehow isn't getting the proper CPU to the VM...

Br,

Kalle

0 Kudos
7 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Kallex,

You cannot buy the enterprise license for VMware Converter on its own, you need to have a Virtual Center 2.x license and / or support contract.

You can find detailed information on how to obtain the enterprise license for VMware Converter at http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100004...

You are correct in saying that the issues you are witnessing at the moment are not licensing related.

If you have a Virtual Center support contract with VMware, I would strongly advise that you first get the enterprise license for Converter sorted out as per the above URL and secondly then open a support request with VMware Technical Support under the Converter enterprise support entitlement that comes with the enterprise license.

Opening support requests with VMware is the only way for possible software defects to be identified and resolved.

If you do not or cannot open a support request with VMware, then I can try to assit you here in this forum.

When Converter was failing to open / read your VMware Server virtual machines, what was the full error that was displayed on the screen? Can you take a screenshot and add it as an attachment to this forum. As well as this,the relevant "vmware-client.x.log" and the "vmware-converter-x.log" files would also capture additional debug information in relation to these failures so can you add them as an attachment as well?

The ESXi would be a different issue so we would need to look at that seperatly.

Regards,

Graham.

Kallex
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi!

We are planning to start with the plain ESXi, so we aren't going to have the VC licensed at starters.

The exact error is (cannot get the image as-is from the server atm):

Title: Conversion Wizard

Error icon

Message: Unable to open file D:\VMWare_Prod\probuild2\probuild2.vmdk

Not sure if I could get the support through (after purchased) ESXi support contract, but then again this is appearing to be pre-sales case, as I have little to no interest of purchasing any ESX edition if I fail to convert the existing VMWare Server images over...

Br,

Kalle

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Well if it is pre-sales issue, then you should speak with the VMware SE (System Engineer) or sales person that you are currently in talks with in relation to the purchasing of VMware software. They might be able to get some offical support assitance for you from VMware. You won't know until you ask.

Can you please add the "vmware-converter-x.log" for this conversion attempt as an attachment? The "vmware-client-x.log" only captures what is happening on the front end, the "vmware-converter-x.log" will capture the debug information that will actually help me in isolating the problem for you.

Regards,

Graham

0 Kudos
Kallex
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi!

Thank you for the swift reply Smiley Happy

I was actually just rereading the post and noticed that I missed that part... was replying just before your reply came in.

Now after reading the log it appears that some of the error is complaining the filesystem not supporting this large files (the vmdk files are single files on most of the cases). This is hardly the case; the host is running on NTFS, on normal PERC/SAS raid 10 drive and of course the files of that size can be handled quite normally with the OS/NTFS; the OS is Win2003 R2 64-bit.

Br,

Kalle

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I am a Technical Support Engineer at VMware. If you have the ability to open a support request, then you should do so and specifically state in the problem description that you want to the case to be assigned to me. I am based in the EMEA support center in Ireland which is on the GMT +1 time zone and I will more than happy to provide you with further more detailed assistance.

I am currently investigating this exact same issue with a customer in a support request.

So far I have not been able to determine the root cause of this issue yet, but I was able to offer him a workaround. The workaround I gave him was as follows;

1. Install Converter 3.0.3 inside of the virtual machine on the Windows OS.

2. Launch converter as you would normally do, but this time choose to import a "Physical Machine" instead of virtual machine and proceed as normal.

3. This should then work without issues for you.

You can send me private message with your full contact details if you want?

I hope this helps!

Regards,

Graham

0 Kudos
Kallex
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi!

Thank you for such fast interest on the issue. I went on the workaround route actually, which lead to another issue that the I have with the ESX, but that's another case, that I have to dig deeper to provide any suspections about.

I have some semi-neutral VMs that are causing the issue now, if you'd want I can open support case providing some of those so that you can in-hand investigate the issue.

Br,

Kalle

0 Kudos
Kallex
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi!

On the 3rd host the vmdk import (the same file that failed on others) worked and the VM was also x64 runnable on ESX after import.

I will try to find the cause; I had RDP connection to the other comps that failed; the working one was normal 64 bit VT enabled laptop with SATA drive... I'll post back if I can isolate the difference(s) and/or if I encounter to other issues when trying to import more than this one problematic x64 VM.

Br,

Kalle

0 Kudos