VMware Cloud Community
IAmTheRealTroy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cannot Migrate Redhat Linux from ESX 4 to ESXi 6.5.0

Hi all,

I have successfully migrated all Windows Servers to the new host.  However I am not familiar with Linux at all and am encountering problems attempting to migrate.  I am using VMware vCenter Converter Standalone to perform the server migrations.

The current error I am receiving is:

A general system error occurred: Network error.  Host 192.168.20.242 key can't be retrieved...

I am using root credentials to login.  If anyone is familiar with this I would appreciate some assistance.

Thanks

Troy

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IAmTheRealTroy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi NicolasAlauzet​ and thanks for your comments,

I have tested the connections on those ports and all were successful.

The Helper VM is indeed there and I was using it to configure the correct static on the NIC as part of the migration in the previous (failed) attempts.  Your screenshot drawing this to my attention gave me another thought.  This time I have attempted again without any of the Helper VM settings configured (all left to auto/default) and it currently is running and has progressed to 4% - the previous repeated failures all stopped on 3%.

I will be back in the office tomorrow to update you.

Many thanks,

Troy

View solution in original post

5 Replies
NicolasAlauzet
Jump to solution

Please verify that you have conectivity from:

Converter to VM: Port 22

Converter to ESXi: 443, 902

Converter to Helper VM: 443

Helper VM to VM: Port 22

Maybe you are missing the Helper VM.

pastedImage_0.png

Also check this one:

VMware P2V Linux Conversion – The Essential Methods

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Triple VCIX (CMA-NV-DCV) | vExpert | MCSE | CCNA
IAmTheRealTroy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi NicolasAlauzet​ and thanks for your comments,

I have tested the connections on those ports and all were successful.

The Helper VM is indeed there and I was using it to configure the correct static on the NIC as part of the migration in the previous (failed) attempts.  Your screenshot drawing this to my attention gave me another thought.  This time I have attempted again without any of the Helper VM settings configured (all left to auto/default) and it currently is running and has progressed to 4% - the previous repeated failures all stopped on 3%.

I will be back in the office tomorrow to update you.

Many thanks,

Troy

scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Moderator: Moved to Converter Standalone

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi

192.168.* is a private network which is almost certainly not routed between the two ESX hosts's virtual networks.

By the way, why don't you use a V2V conversion? I.e. power off the VM first. If both hosts are in the same vCenter Server, you could even migrate it with vSphere client. Since the source is already a VMware VM, reconfiguration should not be needed.

HTH,

Plamen

0 Kudos
IAmTheRealTroy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The migration was successful overnight, many thanks

0 Kudos