VMware Cloud Community
Johnnyk1
Contributor
Contributor

Can't see source disks converting W2k8r2 using vCenter converter 4.2.0

I'm using vCenter Converter 4.2.0 and tryign to convert a Dell R710 with W2K8r2,

using the wizard I tell it to install the agent, apply some credentials, It find the server fine and when on the OPTIONS and Disks I don't see anything for source. Of course the migration fails

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
14 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Download VMware Converter Standalone 4.3. Support for Windows 2008R2 and Windows 7 has been added to this version.

André

EDIT: Here is the link: http://www.vmware.com/products/converter/

0 Kudos
Johnnyk1
Contributor
Contributor

I tried the standalone 4.3 and the same issue

0 Kudos
Johnnyk1
Contributor
Contributor

Here is a picture of where to edit the disks

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Some people in the community solved this issue by running the converter with the Administrator account (right click Converter - "Run as..." - Administrator). Maybe worth a try.

André

0 Kudos
Johnnyk1
Contributor
Contributor

I ran the Standalone with the Run As and no change, I opened a SR to see what I'm doing wrong.

0 Kudos
aikihook
Contributor
Contributor

Had the same problem. Solved it by launching converter - Rigtht-Click 'Run as administrator"

0 Kudos
Johnnyk1
Contributor
Contributor

I tried this but I'm open to try again and make sure I didn't mis-key it or something.

0 Kudos
GreatWhiteTec
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

This may answer your question.

A+, DCSE, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCTS, MCITP, MCDBA, NCDA, VCP4

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful.

0 Kudos
Johnnyk1
Contributor
Contributor

The fix was to install the standalone client on the source machine and run it from there.

I called in a SR to get this fix

0 Kudos
jimmyeao
Contributor
Contributor

Im having exactly the same issues as this, although installing the converter locally has not resolved this.

Have tried running the converter as adminitsator with no joy

Using 4.3.0.

Irritatingly, this worked on another identical physical server 😕

0 Kudos
EMCSANMAN
Contributor
Contributor

I am having this exact same issue. Converter 4.3.0 on 2008 R2 x64. No GPT disks, all are MBR.

0 Kudos
Johnnyk1
Contributor
Contributor

Install the standalone 4.3 version on the source server, then choose for source "this local machine" make sure your antivirus software is turned off as well.

This solution worked fine for me and has continued to work where the integrated version and using the standalone version remotely have failed.

0 Kudos
EMCSANMAN
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply. I have a Change Request entered for tonight to reboot these servers (after I have disabled UAC). Trying that first per vmware recommendation. If unsuccessful, I will try the installation on the source server and see what I get.

0 Kudos
Johnnyk1
Contributor
Contributor

EMCSANMAN, I got the fix I use from opening a SR last week when I was looking for the same answer.

0 Kudos