VMware Cloud Community
VladimirZ
Contributor
Contributor

Can't install VMware Converter Starter Edition

I tried install VMware Converter Starter Edition using VMware-p2v-3.0.0-39557.exe. I started installation, accepted the terms of license and the folder for installation, choose typical installation. The installation process was started.

However, I got error message 1920: "Service VMware Converter Service (ufad-p2v) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system service"

I am working as a local administrator. I tried to run VMware Converter Service manually through service shell, but I got error message 1705 that daughter service does not exist or marked for delete.

What shall I do?

0 Kudos
14 Replies
rzeisler
Contributor
Contributor

What is the OS/Service pack that you are installing it on?

0 Kudos
VladimirZ
Contributor
Contributor

Windows XP Pro SP2 Russian

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Are you logged in with a domain account? Even though you may have local administrator privileges, you may have inherited a policy from the domain restricting you from running the service.

0 Kudos
VladimirZ
Contributor
Contributor

My computer is a member of workgroup only. There is no domain.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

The installation should be fairly straightforward. You might want to create a brand-new vanilla Windows VM and try installing Converter there and review the differences.

0 Kudos
VladimirZ
Contributor
Contributor

What does it mean "vanilla"? I am not experience in English

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Hi

vanilla = fresh install - without a lot of other fancy programs

0 Kudos
VladimirZ
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you

0 Kudos
FranklinM
Contributor
Contributor

Mine was failing the same way. In my system logs, it told me that I had some dependent services down. (TCIP Netbois and Server disabled) Once I cut them on, it installed the service without error. Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
discussed
Contributor
Contributor

In my case, File and Printer sharing needed to be added and the Server service re-started.

Once that service had successfully started, I was able to complete the install.

0 Kudos
VladimirZ
Contributor
Contributor

I added File&Printer sharing service ant NetBios through TCP/IP. The Converter installation completed successfully.

Thank you for assistance!

0 Kudos
suiciety
Contributor
Contributor

Is there a way to do this without installing the Microsoft networking components?

We run a Novell network here and uninstall all the Microsoft components. I find it a bit silly that there is a dependence on these services for what should be a self contained conversion process.

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

The only way to do that would be using the cold-clone method with the ISO boot disk. You need the Enterprise edition of Converter for this though. Otherwise the Microsoft networking components are a dependency for Converter.

0 Kudos
GrepZen
Contributor
Contributor

'Lo Vladimir,

I've seen this myself. I checked File & Print services running, I checked NETBIOS over TCP = enabled. --still, I got the 1920 error.

I had a previous install of VMConverter that had been orphaned during an OS re-install.

I reached a solution but it wasn't pretty by any means.

1) stopped all running VirtualMachines

2) stopped all services relating to VM

3) Verified that no VM related processes were running.

4) started the VMWConverter and it ran w/o a hitch.

--5) restarted all VMW related services

V/R -- Micke

0 Kudos