VMware Cloud Community
MLalonde
Contributor
Contributor

Can convert V2V Windows but not Ubuntu. "TaskInfo indicates error but no exception is specified."

Hello,

I have a ESXi 6.7 with some VMs on it that I am currently moving to my new ESXi 7.0U3.

All VMs have been properly moved using the "vCenter Converter Standalone", however one  - the only Linux VM - fails to convert.

The only message I get is 

FAILED: A general system error occurred:
TaskInfo indicates error but no exception is specified.

I cannot find any other relevant information that could help me understand why it's not working.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks ! 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Export to OVF and import?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
MLalonde
Contributor
Contributor

I know I could do the OVF export, I'm just wondering what is going on and why the Linux VM is the only one that fails conversion.

It shouldn't have to do anything with the guest OS! 

0 Kudos
MLalonde
Contributor
Contributor

Well,

I am trying the export to OVF, but when I attempt to download the VMDK file, at 15% my PC crashes.

I believe this might also be why the converter fails to migrate the VM.

0 Kudos
MLalonde
Contributor
Contributor

I've tried copying the -flat.vmdk disk using the web client (downloading the file) but this makes my computer crash!

I've tried using a new NFS share as a new datastore on the ESXI, and then using "cp" to copy the -flat.vmdk file to the new datastore, this also crashes with an "read error: Input/Output error"

I'm running out of options for moving this VM to the new environment.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

If you have a flat.vmdk with Input/Output errors you cant deal with it using ESXi-buildin tools !!!
Use Linux with ddrescue - thats what I use

I explain how to do that every few weeks.

Ulli

0 Kudos