VMware Cloud Community
romanocj
Contributor
Contributor

Can OEM OSes be converted with Converter 3.0?

I have two servers that I cannot seem to convert because the tool does not recognize the Guest Operating System. My belief is that it may be related to an OEM version of Windows 2003 Server on both servers.

OEM licenses are married to the hardware. Legally, we cannot convert physical Windows Systems with OEM licenses over to VMs using any migration tools. For Windows volume licenses.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Having an OEM license per se should not cause this problem. The P2V'ed VM will most likely require a license reactivation.

The unrecognized OS is more likely caused by some system partition on the machine to be imported.

0 Kudos
Jasemccarty
Immortal
Immortal

pangchen's correct.

I Converted 2 Dell boxes, 1 WinXP, and 1 Win2003 the other day, and did not have any issues other than reactivation.

Jase McCarty - @jasemccarty
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

You might want to try imaging just the Windows partitions using something like Ghost and skip the hidden utility partition. Place them into a VM and Converter will most likely be able to see the OS when you use the Configure option.

0 Kudos
Bruce_Meyer
Contributor
Contributor

This has been my hold up since the beta. HOW do I reactivate an converted OEM Windows Server 2003.

I tried telephone option, and when I entered the generated code, it said I was using an XP install ? I was trying to run the server on VMWare workstation 5.x

I have called our various venros asking for what license I need to buy and they can't figure it out. We called Microsoft, and instead of answering the questions and offering us a license to buy, they wanted us to talk to tech support for $250. I tryo t open a support ticket with VMware prior to purchasing the full Converteor product, and It isn't listed of course, because I haven't bought the full converter. I can't buy the full converter, if they can't tell me how to reactivate... (Am I whining loud enough?)

Bruce Meyer'

0 Kudos
Jasemccarty
Immortal
Immortal

Well, technically... You would need a new license for the VM's given that OEM installs typically are tied to hardware.

The conversions I did, were at a friend's company, where the were moving a Dell box from an older server, to a newer server, and a desktop to the same newer Server.

These two boxes, were "critical" and this was a maintenance window, so when we brought them up as VM's they mentioned they had to be activated. To get them working for the moment, we activated them. My friend said that he would call MS the following workday, and get the licensing settled after the fact.

Given that the OEM licensing model isn't going to change, a new license would be the only way to truly be in compliance.

Having a Volume License with Software Assurance would have nice, and would have dispensed with this issue, but my friend's company isn't that large in the first place.

Jase McCarty - @jasemccarty
0 Kudos
Bruce_Meyer
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply.

I tried to reactivate it, and it still fails. I tried using the telephone, but you can't get a human being and the real odd thing is, it thinks it is an XP license. As far as buying a license, who do you talk to or call, to buy the license, and which type of license. I have a license that worked on a test server I created as a fresh Windows 2003 install. So I know it works. I tried to use the same license on this conversion, and it fails. This is when the telephone activations claims it is an XP license used erroneously.

I have no problem buying a license as we insist on doing everything above board, but whats killing me is, I can't find a sole that know exactly what to ask for an purchase.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Just curious...what is the OEM hardware of your source machine, and the brand of the host for your new VM?

0 Kudos
williambishop
Expert
Expert

There is a simple answer that I read about not long ago for the ones that won't activate.

Reinstall windows. Go through the installation process, f6, etc, don't choose the first "repair from console" message, but continue until you get to "repair windows". Do it with a corporate edition.

Of course I take no responsibility for your actions, or any licensing issues, as I'm sure it's against any decent EULA...but that is the solution.

Now, the next person will also know.

--"Non Temetis Messor."
0 Kudos
Bruce_Meyer
Contributor
Contributor

The (Source) servers are all Dell

The new VM is going on a Dell WORKSTATION running XP. (Inside of a VMware Workstation 5.5)

0 Kudos
williambishop
Expert
Expert

Betting it will still be against EULA, but you might be okay. Doubt it.

--"Non Temetis Messor."
0 Kudos