VMware Cloud Community
JimKearns
Contributor
Contributor

Can I convert a server that has a connected LUN?

I have a file server with a qlogic 2340 card connected to an EMC san LUN of 100Gb in size. I want to virtualize the server and I am wondering what is the best way to achieve this. ESX doesn't emulate fibercards does it? I don't think so. So I couldn't convert just the OS and later attach the existing LUN could I? I would have to convert the os into the c drive on the virtual machine and convert than LUN as another drive (e.g. the F:\ drive). Its just that the LUN is 100GB and if I could find a way not to duplicate the data and just reattach it to the server that would be great. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your input.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, you can create what is called a "Mapped SAN LUN" in ESX Server which maps a virtual disk to an existing LUN. This LUN will appear as another virtual disk to a VM.

So convert the physical machine (Fibre disconnected) and create a new VM and virtual disk with the C drive. Then create a second virtual disk and map it to the LUN for the F drive.

0 Kudos
JimKearns
Contributor
Contributor

Is that the same as a Raw LUN mapping? These have issues with vmotion do they not? I thought I read somewhere that they will not vmotion, does that sound familiar?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, "Mapped SAN LUN" is the same as "Raw Device Mapping" or (RDM). Mapped SAN LUN is the name that appears in the VI Client when you set this up.

Having a Mapped SAN LUN/RDM does not affect VMotion so long as the LUN is visible to the hosts you intend to move the VM around using VMotion.

JimKearns
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your time and information.

0 Kudos