VMware Cloud Community
jowelboy
Contributor
Contributor

Can I convert a powered off physical machine (i.e. from a HD)?

I would like to remove the HD from a PC, attach it to my work PC and then convert it to a VM. Is this possible? The converter always wants the PC to be powered on but often this is not possible for me, so I'd like the option of taking out the HD and converting it.

Thanks

Jowelboy

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Basheer09
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

There is no option to convert the machine which is powered off. Even for cold convertion you need machine to boot from the Converter CD.

However you can convert you work machine with the hard drive which you have attached to it. This will give you addititional drive.

0 Kudos
shirishh2712
Contributor
Contributor

Yups taking out the HD from your pc and attahing it to your work PC is the only option to make P2V happen, since there is no option in the vmware converter to convert a powered off pc.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

Shirishh2712 VCP4.0 VTSP4.0 VSP4.0
0 Kudos
WaffleSniffer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Have a look at this site:

I've used the UltimateP2V to do pretty much what you're trying to do here, when I had to virtualise an old DOS machine.

Hopefully it may help in your situation.

Regards

Adam

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Yes - that is possible.

I assume you have Workstation installed ...

1. create new VM

2. add new disk to this VM - select the physical disk you have

3 do not power on the VM now

4. use vmware-vdiskmanager to convert the newly created "physical disk" into a regular vmdk

5. exchnage the configured physical disk with the new virtual one

6. use Converter and "configure machine" - select the vmx-file of teh new VM

7. now you can boot the VM

I do this regularly - no problems so far

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

You also find me in the support crew of PHD Virtual Backup

0 Kudos
williamsmike
Contributor
Contributor

Continuum -

I'm trying to P2V a powered-off Windows server using your suggestion in this ancient thread. Is this still possible? What if I am using Workstation 16 Player to run the VM? Is that >vmware -vdiskmanager available in this environment?

Thank you,

Mike

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Yes - it is still possible.
Suggestion: create vmdk with Linux-dd like
dd if=/dev/sda of=boot-flat.vmdk bs=1M conv=notrunc
Then create a descriptorfile for boot-flat.vmdk
Next create new VM and assign the vmdk you just created.

The registry patching that is required for a recent windows server is trivial: just enable LSI-SAS driver in registry and assign a SAS-vmdk when building the VM.
No need for Converter or VMware-vdiskmanager at all - all you need is a Linux LiveCD like Knoppix, Ubuntu .....

Ulli

0 Kudos