VMware Cloud Community
CTSTech
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Boot CD Converter speed slow?

I'm doing a P2V of an HP ML310 G4 that has about 400 GB of space.  I'm using the Boot CD Cold Clone method, converting to ESXi 5 on an HP ML350 G6 with 15k rpm drives - using an HP Procurve GB Switch.

The speed it's converting is about 24500 KBps, and its estimating 5 hours or so.

Anything I can do to speed it up?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion

Nics from the physical machine and ESXi are on 1gbps? Can you double check? Also, are they on the same network, or better, same physical switch?

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos
CTSTech
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, both NICs show as 1000 full and connected to the same physical switch.

Checking an online calculator, it looks like 24500 KBps = 196 Mbps so it is definitely faster than a 100 Mbps NIC connection, but I have done P2Vs at a much higher rate than this.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
jimraina
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

what about firewall , have you made any entry of that port ?

0 Kudos
CTSTech
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I noticed on the Converter Best Practices:

If the NIC on the source machine is compatible with TOE (TCP Offload  Engine), you need to disable it by running this command in a command  prompt on the source machine:

netsh int tcp set global chimney=disabled

Do I need to do that on the Cold Clone Boot CD NIC settings too?

0 Kudos
CTSTech
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think the converter speed depends heavily on:

1. Read speed of the source server drives
  2. CPU speed of the source server
  3. Free Ram on the source server
  4. Write speed of the destination server drives

I recently tried doing a P2V with the Cold Clone CD, but it failed at 85%.  I was getting 150 Mbps transfer rate.

I ended up having to do a Hot Clone with Converter 5 and was only getting around 100 Mbps - even with SSL disabled in Converter.

0 Kudos