VMware Cloud Community
Matthydras
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

BlueOnyx and vConverter

Hello everybody

We have 3 BlueOnyx on 5106R version. We want to convert to virtual machines the 3 physical machines.

We try to do it using the Vmware vConverter 5.5.3 to convert the 3 powered-on Linux machines.

I see the ssh connection and sftp connection using wireshark but I can't see the "View source details" information.

Vmware vConverter sent the error message fault.SysinfoQueryLinuxFault.summary (seeing in attachement).

BlueOnyx is based on the Centos 5 32 bits so I installed the same Centos version for try to convert it to virtual machine using Vmware vConverter.

I have successfully this conversion so I didn't understand what is the problem.

If someony can help me to do it ...

Thanks in advance for your help

Best regards

Matt

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Matthydras
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello

In addition, i find the log file of vConverter on Win7 (C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\VMware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone Client\Logs)

//////////////////////////

2014-11-21T11:47:35.803+01:00 [05944 info 'ConverterSession'] Converter::Client::Gui::Common::DiagnosticDataProvider::SetLastKnownSource - Setting last known source:

--> (converter.ComputerSpec) {

-->    dynamicType = <unset>,

-->    location = (converter.ComputerSpec.LiveComputerLocation) {

-->       dynamicType = <unset>,

-->       hostname = "<@IP>",

-->       port = <unset>,

-->       username = "root",

-->       password = (not shown),

-->       osType = "linuxOs",

-->       verifyPeer = <unset>,

-->       sslThumbprint = "d3:cf:1e:d9:be:ec:40:75:60:f7:46:f5:24:41:37:46",

-->    },

--> }

2014-11-21T11:47:35.803+01:00 [02620 info 'ThreadPool'] Thread enlisted

2014-11-21T11:47:36.101+01:00 [03268 error 'wizardController'] Cannot query source HW info: converter.fault.SysinfoQueryBadThumbprintFault

2014-11-21T11:47:36.101+01:00 [03268 verbose 'Locale'] Default resource used for 'SysinfoQueryBadThumbprintFault.summary' expected in module 'fault'.

2014-11-21T11:47:55.292+01:00 [03268 error 'wizardController'] Cannot query source HW info: converter.fault.SysinfoQueryLinuxFault

2014-11-21T11:47:55.292+01:00 [03268 verbose 'Locale'] Default resource used for 'SysinfoQueryLinuxFault.summary' expected in module 'fault'.

2014-11-21T11:48:03.905+01:00 [04968 error 'wizardController'] Cannot query source OS info: converter.fault.SysinfoQueryLinuxFault

2014-11-21T11:48:03.905+01:00 [04968 verbose 'Locale'] Default resource used for 'SysinfoQueryLinuxFault.summary' expected in module 'fault'.

//////////////////////////

So the problem is linked to the thumbprint ?? If yes, how to solve it ?

Best Regards

Matt

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The source machine sshd_config must have these settings:
  PermitRootLogin yes

PasswordAuthentication yes

Can you pls check that?

Regards,

Plamen

0 Kudos
Matthydras
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello Plamen

Unfortunately, the both parameters are on yes before when it doesn't work.

Best Regards

Matt

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

What type of encryption does the source use and what version of converter do you use?
Converter "understands" 'rsa', 'rsa1', and 'dsa' since 5.5.1. Previously it was only 'rsa' and running against a source with different type yielded the same error.

Regards,

Plamen

0 Kudos
Matthydras
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I use the lastest Vmware vConverter version 5.5.3 build 2183569.

I have done a tcpdump trace and I think the both used a rsa ssh connection.

Regards

Matt

0 Kudos
Matthydras
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello everybody,

We found the problem !!!

By default, BlueOnyx (and perhaps other distribution) disabled the noexec right on the /tmp.

... ... ...

/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-tmp on /tmp type ext3 (rw,noexec,nosuid)

... ... ...

The Vmware Converter copy files vmware-sysinfo-lin32.tar or vmware-sysinfo-lin64.tar depending the architecture using root login on the /tmp directory if remote server is Linux.

This 2 files are stored C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone\.

After, Vmware untar one on this files and execute the bash script.

If /tmp is mount this noexec the script can't be executed.

Using this command, you can update the partition rights with keeping the mounting : mount -o remount,exec /tmp .

I hope this thing will help you !! 😉

Have a nice day.

Matt

patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thanks for sharing.

This is a good candidate for release note or KB article.

0 Kudos