VMware Cloud Community
p_d
Contributor
Contributor

Blue screen 0x0000007B VM boot error with 64-bit Windows 2003

Blue screen 0x0000007B boot error with 64-bit Windows 2003 virtual machine converted from physical machine.

I am running VMWare Converter Starter Edition version 3.0.0 build-39557 installed on a Dell PowerEdge 2950 (a couple of months old) running Windows Server 2003 Enterprise x64 R2 (version 5.2.3790, SP1 with all the latest updates). The server has SCSI RAID drives (2 separate arrays for a physical C: and 😧 drive).

The physical machine is a new clean installation of 64-bit Windows Server 2003 with no other software installed except for VMWare Server and Converter.

I am attempting to create a virtual machine from this machine to run in VMWare Server (version 1.0.1 build-29996) on the same physical machine. The conversion appears to succeed, but when I attempt to start the new virtual machine, it begins to boot, displays the Windows 2003 startup screen briefly, and then fails with a blue screen with the following error:

STOP: 0x0000007B (0xFFFFFADFD520F3C0, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000034, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000)

I understand the "0x0000007B" means that it can't access the boot device for some reason. I have searched these forums and the knowledge base, but haven't found a solution to this problem.

I have been able to successfully convert and boot a 32-bit Windows Server 2003 physical machine as a virtual machine running in this same VMWare Server. I don't have any other 64-bit machines to test this with.

I am logged in directly to the console of the physical machine with the administrator account. I enabled virtualization in the BIOS. I have tried various combinations when building the virtual machine (customizing or not, fixed or variable disk sizes, importing both C: and 😧 drives or importing only the C: drive, etc). I have the SYSPREP files from the x64 installation disks locally on the server, and I have run SETUPMGR in this folder to create a SYSPREP.INF file. All of these various attempts have failed with the same boot error.

Is it possible to build a 64-bit virtual machine using VMWare Converter Starter Edition? Any suggestions on how to resolve this issue?

0 Kudos
51 Replies
RobPerkins
Contributor
Contributor

I guess I better add my case to the list as well. I just tried converting an XP x64 physical machine to a VM, with identical results: BSOD, 0x07b, same values in the four included addresses.

0 Kudos
Sabandija
Contributor
Contributor

Ditto with the exact same problem here...is it possible to fix using the win2k3 CD? If possible please post fix procedure...

Thanks

Sabandija

0 Kudos
dschumacher
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue. Working with vmware to resolve. Once they stop blaming the hardware maybe we will get to the bottom of this.

0 Kudos
andoven
Contributor
Contributor

I converted (P2V using Converter) a 32bit Windows 2003 OS to a virtual server.

The virtual server was running BusLogic SCSI drivers and it came up fine.

After the conversion was complete, I upgraded to Windows Server 2003 Enterprise with SP2.

I tried converting my Windows server to an LSI logic SCSI device and it blue screened as noted above.

I went back to BusLogic and it booted normally.

This document from ESX 2 days says there is no noticeable performance improvement using LSI instead of BusLogic.

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/ESX2_Storage_Performance.pdf

0 Kudos
xe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Please use the Windows 2003 CD to repair the OS to correct this.

I have seen this behaviour on Windows 2003 64-bit only; 32-bit is not affected.

The LSI logic driver is not getting added to the VM if the source does not already have a copy of the driver shipped with the OS. Running an OS repair will fix this by adding in the drivers from the Windows CD.

0 Kudos
jnielsen
Contributor
Contributor

Should it be possible to install the driver on the source prior to running Converter? If so, is there a recommended way of doing this?

0 Kudos
jnielsen
Contributor
Contributor

SOLUTION[/b]

Boot to a Recovery Console. If it wasn't installed on the server you're trying to convert (it isn't by default), you'll have to boot from a 64-bit Windows CD (doesn't necessarily have to be the same flavor/version as the installed OS). Press the "R" option instead of "Enter" at the first prompt screen.

Select your Windows installation and supply the Admin password.

At the prompt, type:

enable symmpi SERVICE_BOOT_START[/i]

Then type "exit" to reboot. The driver files for the virtual SCSI adapter are installed by default, but frequently (as we've seen here) disabled in typical installations. The above command simply re-enables the driver for the boot environment.

I still suspect there is a way to do this on the source machine (while Windows is running) prior to running Converter, but I haven't looked in to that too much yet. More if I find anything.

VMware, PLEASE update Converter to enable this driver automatically as part of the conversion process!

JN

0 Kudos
jnielsen
Contributor
Contributor

Not tested, but it should be possible to enable the symmpi (LSI SCSI) driver on the source machine (preferably prior to running Converter) by running this from a command prompt:

sc config symmpi start=boot[/i]

JN

0 Kudos
gautam
Expert
Expert

This should be fixed in 3.0.1

0 Kudos
cdaf
Contributor
Contributor

I've done this and the problem still remains...

0 Kudos
cheytor
Contributor
Contributor

Dear all,

i've same problem blue screen when try to convent win2003 x64 from physical to virtual, and after complain to our re-seller, they provide us with iso file (converter-x64.iso) that must run after converting process and it's work.

But that iso file cann't work when converting win2003 x64 from virtual to virtual, it always stop with message "..disk incompatible.." (at progress 97%), because vm never up and iso file cann't run.

any one has try it..??

0 Kudos
jnielsen
Contributor
Contributor

Minor correction, the command should be:

sc config symmpi start= boot[/i]

Notice the space after the equals sign.

0 Kudos
curtisp3
Contributor
Contributor

I have also had the exact same fault with windows 2004 64 bit whilst converting a physical machine using ide disks to a VM. I gget the same BSOD 7B error.

I have tried running the commands as specified but the VM still wont boot.

I had a problem with the sc command, when in repair mode it would not let me execute the command and cli behaved as if the command was not present but it was on the server.

Any suggestions! alan.macmillan@bt.com

0 Kudos
curtisp3
Contributor
Contributor

Do you know if there is a fix for this boot error yet?

0 Kudos
RVeino
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same issue with a converted 64 bit Windows 2003 server.

There is no symmpi driver in my installation, so this is why the following command is not working as instructed in the repair console.

sc config symmpi start= boot

Anyone have any ideas out there, this seems like a simple one... or should at least be addressed as it is so common!

0 Kudos
xe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This issue is fixed in Converter 3.0.1.

0 Kudos
RobMokkink
Expert
Expert

When converting 64 bits guest. I use the customization wizard, so that sysprep will run. I don't reset the SID.

This will make sure a mini-setup will be run and the system can boot afterwards.

It's allmost the same a with symantec live state restore, it also does a mini setup after restore.

0 Kudos
MT08
Contributor
Contributor

The migrated VM blue screens with 7B because VMware convereter doesn't add the entry for VM disk to the criticaldevicedatabase in the registry.

Without this the symmpi driver for lsi logic scsi does not load in the beginning. You can manually add the following entry by merging the following

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

"ClassGUID"="{4D36E97B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}"

"Service"="symmpi"

0 Kudos
aweaver614
Contributor
Contributor

Just so noone else wastes their time with BartPE/Regedit trying to add that key to their system hive, it doesnt work.

-Drew

0 Kudos
MT08
Contributor
Contributor

The regedit solution posted above has worked for me.

Thanks.

0 Kudos