VMware Cloud Community
Zombie64
Contributor
Contributor

BlackBerry Server

Hi,

I am trying to convert a Physical Windows 2003 SP 2 running Blackberry Server 4.1 computer using the "VCenter Converter Standalone CLient 4.0.1 build-161434" to a VMWARE ESXI 4.0.0 Build 181792.

94% completed I get a failed message: "FAILED: Unable to find the system volume, reconfiguration is not possible."

I checked the logs (it is attached), but I could not find a solution.

I check all other topics about this error and no clue too.

I really appreciate any help about this problem.

Thank you

John

Current boot.ini

timeout=30

default=signature(80)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

signature(80)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows Server 2003, Standard" /noexecute=optout /fastdetect

0 Kudos
17 Replies
fejf
Expert
Expert

Things I'd suggest to try:

1. Try to convert the BB-Server without reconfiguration/customization (deselect install vmware tools, do not modify the harddisk size). After the conversion is finished install the vmware tools manually inside the new VM and use another (V2V) conversion to convert the VM to another VM (on the same ESXi) where the reconfiguration normally works.

2. Have you installed the converter directly on the BB-Server? If not you can try this also.

--

There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and the rest. And those who understand gray-code.

-- There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and the rest. And those who understand gray-code.
0 Kudos
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Be careful when you try to convert the BB Server.

I also had the problem, that it does not work.

It would be the best way to make an new vm an s a clean installation of the BB Server.

That is my experience with it!

Godd luck!!!

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
0 Kudos
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

It's been a while since I p2v'd a box but I think at 94% the vmdk creation is complete but it has issues creating the vmx file. Have you tried creating a new VM, but then attaching the vmdk file that was created in the p2v to that new VM? This will create a fresh vmx file and if the vmdk file is good, it will boot into the OS.

• Kyle

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "
0 Kudos
Zombie64
Contributor
Contributor

Hi guys,

Thank you for the answers, but unhappy it doesn't work.

I tried all recommendations here suggested:

• 1) Convert without configuration/customization (feij)

• 2) Install the Converter directly on the BB-server (feij)

• 3) To use the vmdk created by the Converter in a new VM (khughes)

*Reconfigure a new clean BES will be my last option (knowczynski)

Do you guys know something more that I can try?

Thank you in advance,

John

0 Kudos
Zombie64
Contributor
Contributor

I noticed that if I uncheck the "Reconfigure destination virtual machine" box, its 100% completed, but when I try to turn on the VM, the problem persists as showed in the attached file(it shows just a black screen with a dot).

0 Kudos
AsherN
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Are you shutting down all of the BB services prior to conversion?

0 Kudos
Zombie64
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, i tried it too.

Thanks

John

0 Kudos
AsherN
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Does the physical server have a recovery partition? Are you trying to import it as well?

I had a W2K SP4 server like that and that recovery partition messed it up.

Otherwise, look up knife-edge cutover for BES.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

the boot.ini is to complicated for Converter

rewrite it and do not use signature entries

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

>Current boot.ini

>boot loader

>timeout=30

>default=signature(80)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

>operating systems

>signature(80)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows Server 2003, Standard" /noexecute=optout /fastdetect

Agreed. The signature path will probably fail this conversion. You can re-write this in the physical, or mount the vmdk to another virtual machine and then modify it there. Afterward, you just need to use the 'Reconfigure Machine' option.

Regards,

EvilOne

VMware vExpert 2009

5441_5441.jpg

NOTE: If your problem or questions has been resolved, please mark this thread as answered and award points accordingly.

0 Kudos
Zombie64
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the answers, I will try it.

You said: "(...) or mount the vmdk to another virtual machine and then modify it there. Afterward, you just need to use the 'Reconfigure Machine' option." So How can I do that (since my guest does not start)?

Or what line should I use in my boot.ini (on my physical computer)?

Thanks,

John

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

take a working virtual machine, and Add Disk > Existing Disk > point to the virtual machine disk that can't boot.

this KB has a proper Boot.ini in it:

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1001610/

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows ..."

Regards,

EvilOne

VMware vExpert 2009

5441_5441.jpg

NOTE: If your problem or questions has been resolved, please mark this thread as answered and award points accordingly.

Zombie64
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, thanks for the help. That link is very userful, but unfortunately I still having that problem.

I tried the boot ini changes as mentioned before, but doesn't matter what I do, the image cannot start. After I click on Power ON, the first screen is this one (please see the VM.jpg attached file) and freezes on that screen.

It's very weird because If I open the same image as a second disk from other Gest OS, I can browser the files on the "corrupted" image, etc..

Do you have some other idea that I can try?

Thanks again,

John

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

Do you have a contract to file a support request?

Regards,

EvilOne

0 Kudos
Zombie64
Contributor
Contributor

Unluckily I do not ...

I am just thinking, maybe I should try to export by Acronis.. I dont know if it works, but ...

Thanks,

John

0 Kudos
FKI-Shudak
Contributor
Contributor

I have received the single cursor on a VM before when either starting a new VM, or converting. The one thing I found that fixed that, was to force the VM into BIOS on next boot. Power it on, it should go into the BIOS. Then just exit out of the BIOS and it should carry on with its booting process.

0 Kudos
DanDill
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This may be a stupid question BUT:

Have you tried a cold conversion? Aka, booting off the converter CD and converting it that way? That's usually my first choice when P2V-ing systems....

0 Kudos