VMware Cloud Community
mcssoftware
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Best Method Convert Server 2.x VMs to ESXi 4 U1

I'm trying to convert VMs currently running on VMware Server 2.0.1(Linux) to ESXi (Essentials) 4 U1. I have VCenter running and have installed and configured the converter plugin in vSphere client. When logged into VCenter (through vSphere client), I right click my destination ESXi host in the datacenter and select "Import Machine". The wizard then gives my 3 options for source import "Physical machine, VI machine and Other". Which option should I be using? When I choose "Other" it states this is for VMware Server, workstaton etc imports, but it only gives me the option of importing using a Windows share as my source. Do I really need to have a Samba share available on my Server Linux host that contains the VMs to convert? I thought I could convert directly from Server to ESXi without a go between? Can I use the "Physical Machine" option? What is the best way to get this done? I know the hard way, but I thought this would be easier to do right from vCenter without juggling VM files and running convert manually. Maybe VMware has a "How to Migrate From Server To ESXi" document somewhere, but I couldn't find it. Smiley Happy Sure would nice. Anyway, I'd appreciate someone pointing me in the right direction on this.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It appears that using the standalone converter is the only real method (or best method?).

it's both real and best. If your virtual machine is already created from scratch in VMware Server, you can either do an cold (point to vmx) or hot (powered on VM and point to IP).

Unfortunately, that hot clone procedure as documented seems to be geared toward Windows conversions and I have Linux VMs without X installed to convert.

X is not required for Hot clone. Only if you want to install Converter on that system. if you install converter standalone on a separate system, then point to the IP of the virtual machine, it will only use SSH as root. nothing else on that linux system is required.

In a cold clone of a pre-existing linux virtual machine, it basically dumps the disk and creates a new VMX file.

may have to go cold or use the cold clone method.

Cold as in vmx is fine, but don't cold clone as in the Boot Disc.

Anyway is you move the vm's files directly to the ESXi 4 datastore (using for example fastscp) and then add to inventory the vm browsing the datastore, it should work too. The vm are compatible.

This may not directly work. you will either need to modify the VMDK header file to be able to power it on. if the header is merged into the VMDK file, you will need to use converter because VMKFSTOOL does not exist in ESXi, and in ESX classic it doesn't work on vHardware 7 VMDK files.

Regards,

EvilOne

VMware vExpert 2009

5441_5441.jpg

NOTE: If your problem or questions has been resolved, please mark this thread as answered and award points accordingly.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
PaulSvirin
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

According to this thread there are several ways to do it, have a look: http://communities.vmware.com/thread/86933

---

iSCSI SAN software

http://www.starwindsoftware.com

--- iSCSI SAN software http://www.starwindsoftware.com
mcssoftware
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the link. The post referenced seems pretty old (circa 2007) - is it really that much of a pain

to convert since Server 2 is virtual hardware v7 like ESXi 4? It appears that using the standalone converter is the only real method (or best method?). Unfortunately, that hot clone procedure as documented seems to be geared toward Windows conversions and I have Linux VMs without X installed to convert. may have to go cold or use the cold clone method. Anyway, I'll dig more into the documentation as well. If anyone else has any suggestions to best practice for this process it would be appreciated. I was hoping it would be pretty streamlined process since Vmware would seem to favor this route (Server --> ESX) to convert free to paying customers. Thanks again for the link.

0 Kudos
Borja_Mari
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi,

to be able to convert linux powered on machines you must use the vCenter converter standalone. This is the best supported way to convert a linux powered machine. It works so fine.

Anyway is you move the vm's files directly to the ESXi 4 datastore (using for example fastscp) and then add to inventory the vm browsing the datastore, it should work too. The vm are compatible.

Check this good stuff about this topic:

Regards/Saludos,

Pablo

Please consider awarding any helpful answer. Thanks!! - Por favor considera premiar las respuestas útiles. Muchas gracias!!

Virtually noob blog

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- PLEASE CONSIDER AWARDING any HELPFUL or CORRECT reply. Thanks!! Por favor CONSIDERA PREMIAR cualquier respuesta ÚTIL o CORRECTA . ¡¡Muchas gracias!! VCP3, VCP4, VCP5-DCV (VCP550), vExpert 2010, 2014 BLOG: http://communities.vmware.com/blogs/VirtuallyAnITNoob
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It appears that using the standalone converter is the only real method (or best method?).

it's both real and best. If your virtual machine is already created from scratch in VMware Server, you can either do an cold (point to vmx) or hot (powered on VM and point to IP).

Unfortunately, that hot clone procedure as documented seems to be geared toward Windows conversions and I have Linux VMs without X installed to convert.

X is not required for Hot clone. Only if you want to install Converter on that system. if you install converter standalone on a separate system, then point to the IP of the virtual machine, it will only use SSH as root. nothing else on that linux system is required.

In a cold clone of a pre-existing linux virtual machine, it basically dumps the disk and creates a new VMX file.

may have to go cold or use the cold clone method.

Cold as in vmx is fine, but don't cold clone as in the Boot Disc.

This may not directly work. you will either need to modify the VMDK header file to be able to power it on. if the header is merged into the VMDK file, you will need to use converter because VMKFSTOOL does not exist in ESXi, and in ESX classic it doesn't work on vHardware 7 VMDK files.

Regards,

EvilOne

VMware vExpert 2009

5441_5441.jpg

NOTE: If your problem or questions has been resolved, please mark this thread as answered and award points accordingly.

0 Kudos
mcssoftware
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks everyone for the comments/suggestions. I'll look into standalone converter for the conversion and ignore the vcenter one for now.

0 Kudos